MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Duel boot, 2 hard drives.
May 31, 2020, 01:52:51 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2020, 01:52:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duel boot, 2 hard drives.  (Read 1620 times)
TwiztidRich

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2005, 05:57:28 PM »

I have 2 hard drives. Master has 2 partitions. C and D. C has XP, D is storage. Second hard drive (Slave) has only 1 (Full drive) partition and is drive G. It has Windows Vista on it. (E is CDRom and I have no idea where F went to) The system is set up for duel boot to XP or Vista and works fine. Smiley

I want to make my slave drive my boot drive and eliminate the master. I have removed the master from the computer and set the jumpers on the "Slave" drive to "Stand Alone" (No other HDD's in the system.) but I get the message "No operating system found". Is there a way to do this WITHOUT re-installing Vista. It takes FOREVER to install!:-\

wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 10:32:45 PM »

where did you get vista already?

TwiztidRich

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 11:06:22 PM »

It's just the Beta version

wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 03:05:48 PM »

Have you tried the jumper to master on the hd you wish to use?Why would you want to remove the hd with the other system on it if you could boot from either?What if vista doesnt work out.
Where did you go to get the beta version of vista? I have been considering installing win xp pro 64 bit on a separate hd but apparently drivers are a problem concerning some hardware so I might like to try vista (hopefully a cross between 32 and 64 bit.

TwiztidRich

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:24:41 PM »

I downloaded the torrent file (Are you familiar with torrents?) (Found with Google search.) Then used a program called "BitComet" (Or BitLord) to download the ISO. WARNING. The ISO is 2.81 Gig. Then you need to burn it onto a DVD. (Too large for a CD.) I don't have a DVD burner so I had to use "Daemon Tools" and mount a virtual DVD drive and install it from another hard drive. Took a long time to do it that way. The reason I don't want to have to boot from a separate drive is that I have XP on 3 other computers in my home and do not need it on the fourth computer. I guess I'll have to reinstall onto another hard drive. I have a few extra hard drives laying around.

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 06:10:47 AM »

If you are an authorised Beta tester, the appropriate place for asking this question is the Beta newsgroups - at microsoft Connect- where you will get full and accurate details of the procedure (hint - a couple of files need to be copied)
If you're not an authorised Beta tester, you should not be running it anyhow!
Smiley

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
TwiztidRich

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:24:20 PM »

Yeah, I guess your right...I'm not an official beta tester so I'll deleat it from my system RIGHT NOW! I'll get a message to all of the thousands of other people that have downloaded it on the net and make sure they remove it too. Thanx for straightening me out on that. ;-)

TwiztidRich

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 11:25:34 PM »

BTW...I thought this was "Software Support", Not the MS Police. :-(

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: