MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Accessing files
October 17, 2019, 01:14:39 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2019, 01:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Accessing files  (Read 1487 times)
LookItsMe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2005, 01:26:15 PM »

Hey guys

I was having virus issues that I had addressed in the security forum, but now this is a new problem.  I had a system set up with a dual boot, the primary being a Windows ME drive, and the secondary master being an XP drive.  I used the ME drive as a storage drive.  I had some virus issues and the XP drive become unbootable.  Everything is still accessible BUT it just won't load, and I don't want to format the drive at least until I figure out this problem.  I have a new primary master in (the one I'm on) with the old XP drive serving as the secondary master (now a storage disk).  I was trying to copy some of my files off of that drive that are stored in just a regular folder in the root (since I know the ones under my logon name are long gone), and it keeps telling me I don't have access to these files.  A ton of other files work fine, it's just these certain files.  Basically they are movies from my camcorder that I converted to XVids in CamTasia (no no, they're not p*rn...lol).  I have a lot of memories in them and I can't lose them.  It's saying the file is either in use, you cannot access the disk these are on, or your proxy settings are wrong.  Every other movie (not from the Camtasia) are working just fine, and copy and everything.  I've tried reinstalling Camtasia thinking maybe it was a codec, and also the K-Lite Codec package.  Any suggestions on how I can get access to these files and at least copy them off the drive???  I'm really upset about this.  Just for additional information... on the old setup, the ME drive was a "C:\" and the XP drive was "D:\".  Now, with the new drive in, the NEW XP drive is C:\ and the OLD XP drive is E:\.  Could any of this have to do with the way the jumpers are set?  I wouldn't think so, b/c I can access just about anything else except for my family videos.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need additional information. Thanks!

LookItsMe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 04:47:59 PM »

Hey...I have to make a correction.  The Primary Master was ME, the Primary SLAVE was XP...and now the Primary Master is the NEW XP and the Primary Slave is my old XP (same position it was in).  Sorry, just realized my mistake

Cache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 10:14:26 PM »

Hi.

Try taking ownership of the files. See the link bellow for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

LookItsMe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 08:17:42 AM »

dude...it worked.  Thank you SO much, you the MAN! (or woman) Smiley

Cache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 11:30:04 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by LookItsMe

dude...it worked.  Thank you SO much, you the MAN! (or woman) Smiley

Your welcome.

BTW, im male.Roll Eyes

LookItsMe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 04:05:57 PM »

hey again

One more question.  Is there a way to reinstall Windows on my XP drive to make it run again without having to format it?  When I try to boot on it, now after all we did messing around with trying to repair it, it says NTLDR Missing or something...and I know usually that's the last life on software.  But what if I installed XP from the new drive, just to the old drive...would I still be able to have all my stuff on it?  I'm assuming not because of all the files from the programs being installed into Windows, but it's worth asking Smiley

Cache

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 06:10:13 PM »

Hi,

Take a look throught the following link. It's the Microsoft KB article on ""NTLDR is missing" error message when you install or upgrade Windows XP over Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition" I belive this applies to you:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314057

LookItsMe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 06:54:37 PM »

I didn't upgrade on that drive.  I installed XP fresh.  When i screwed up the system we tried to do a repair but b/c I had set the /SAFEBOOT switch in MSCONFIG (god only knows why), it kept rebooting into safe mode, which wasn't working, so therefore I couldn't repair it.  We played around with the files and now it just won't load at all

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: