MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: BSODs, Windows won't always start up
November 19, 2019, 09:37:00 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 09:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BSODs, Windows won't always start up  (Read 1066 times)
deiann

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2005, 12:17:51 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows 2000 Professional
Motherboard: Asus A7S333 with integrated soundcard
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1600Plus, 1,4 Ghz (not overclocked to my knowledge)
RAM: Kingston 512Mb PC3200 CL3 184-Pin DIMM (purchased this one this summer I believe and it has been working just fine to my knowledge) & Elixir(?) 256Mb DDR PC266 (which I've now removed)
Videocard: Ati Radeon 7500 128 Mb AGP TV-OUT/DVI
Network Card: Homeline 1Mbps PCI Phone Line Adapter 10 Mbps Ethernet Adapter
CD/DVD: LiteOn reading DVD/burning CD station & LG burning DVD/CD station GSA4163B (I've taken this one out though, since it's the latest thing I've added&I thought it might've had something to do with the problems, but the probs continue even after I took it out.)
Harddrive: Maxtor Fireball 3 40Gb (Windows is installed in this hd) and a 200Gb hd (Can't remember the last ones brand&didn't find the receit, sorry. Lemme know if this is vital info, and I'll try to find out the brand.)
BIOS version: I've no clue about this&where to check it out, sorry.
Error Messages: There have been several different BSODs.
1. STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
2. *** STOP: 0x00000067 (0x0000004, 0x00000007, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
3. *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x0019025E, 0xAB4581CC, 0xAB457E24, 0xBFF16A18) NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
*** Address BFF16A18 base at BFEEE000, DateStamp 3cdaccb4 - Ntfs.sys
4. *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x0019025E, 0xAB1179F8, 0xAB117650, 0xEB6916A9)
*** Address EB6916A9 base at EB690000, DateStamp 3ce[that e could've been a c too, can't make out my own handwriting, pfft!]a220b - disk.sys

So, the story begins like this. I hadn't been using the computer for roughly a week and went to turn it on. To my surprise, since it had been working just fine the last time I used it, the computer wouldn't start up, instead it kept giving me these long beeps that went on and on.. (Apparently they mean that I have some problems with my RAM?..) I remembered something similar had happened once before, some time ago, and that the cure for that problem had been to take out the
RAM stick (only had one back then) and put it right back in. Problem solved. However, such was not the case now. After rebooting I got thrown straight to BIOS where I was told the CPU had hang up on improper CPU speed and that I should check the settings. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary as far as I could tell (which doesn't really convince me that something wasn't wrong Wink, but since CPU Speed showed 1400 Mhz, I assumed everything was okay. I saved and exited and tried to restart, but the computer would only go as far as the black&white starting windows screen, where the bar shown at the bottom of the screen would load up, but nothing would happen after that. I couldn't start Windows even in Sade Mode. After some trial&error, I removed the older RAM stick and was relieved to find that I could now get Windows to start up. My relief was short-lived though, as I soon discovered that the computer would stay on for some time, but then restart. I read some forums to find out what I should do, and managed to change the settings so, that I could see the BSODs every time, instead of the computer just rebooting. The 4 errors I've written up are the ones I've been getting lately when trying to start Windows, some of them I've gotten more than once, like the registry file failure one if I remember correctly. The first few times that I started up the computer I could get all the way to Windows and then do stuff there for a while, before the compy would reboot. Then it started to go so that I couldn't get to Windows at all. Not even in Safe Mode (this is when I got error #2). But if I try enough, occasionally I'm able to get into Windows, like today and everything will seem normal, I even managed to watch an Enterprise episode halway through with Windows Media Player, before BSOD appeared again (error #4).

Solutions?: Based on what I've read the problem could lie with:
a) the remaining RAM stick?
b) Processor?
c) dust inside the chassis? (for example the processor fan (Thermaltake Volcano 5) seems awfully dusty, but I have not dared touch it yet, should I clean it?)
d) the motherboard?

I would really love it if someone could help me figure out what the problem is since I'd really need my computer right now, am in the middle of writing my thesis. Not to worry, I should have all the relevant files copied to my USB memory stick, but it would be easier for me to write the thesis in the peace of my own room rather than in my baby brothers room where our family computer is located. Thanks in advance for all&any helpful suggestions!

deiann

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 05:57:17 PM »

The problem has been solved! Cheesy Apparently it was just a case of a wrong kind of RAM. My motherboard supports 2x333Mhz RAM sticks and I had one 400Mhz.. But all is well now, thanks for yer interest! Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: