MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Have Favorites shell but cannot see folders in
July 24, 2019, 02:11:20 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2019, 02:11:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have Favorites shell but cannot see folders in  (Read 3014 times)
murman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2003, 06:19:49 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hello all, first-timer
My problem is that i have a favorites shell folder showing it has contents but i cannot figure out how to get the folders back. In the properties of the favorites shell it has system file marked and i cant seem to change or view any of the folders within.

I run win95  with Internet Explorer 5.5

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 01:45:07 PM »

Hi,

I am not quite sure what you mean by "Favorites shell".

Are you trying to import "Favorites" into IE5.5? If so, go to File > Import and Export... and import your Favorites.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
murman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 04:51:57 PM »

All i have is one folder pertaining to Favorites.  It is in the windows folder, i cannot find or see any other Favorites  BUT i can still add web pages to a Favorites list somewhere.  I have searched, I have reinstalled ie5.5, I have reinstalled win95, and all i get when i click Favorites is a blank box to the left with add or organize.  Now i may have somehow combined files or deleted files i am really unsure, anyway thanks for all the help you can pass on.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 05:43:56 PM »

Hi,

Win95 only had one place for "Favorites" like you saw under c:\windows\Favorites unless you installed Microsoft's TweakUI (would be in Control Panel) and configured Win95 to customize for different users logged in. Since you did a search and did not find any other "Favorites" folders, I assume you're not using TweakUI. There may be a problem with the "Favorites" folder itself, I would rename the "Favorites" folder to something like "c:\windows\Old_Favorites" and then recreate a new "C:\windows\Favorites" folder. Copy the links in "c:\windows\Old_Favorites" to "C:\windows\Favorites"

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
murman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 07:48:23 PM »

In c:windows there is a folder named  Favorites.  When i click on it nothing happens and instead of a folder icon it has the windows icon there.  When i changed the name of that folder it asked "are you sure you want to rename system folder".  I did nothing and am writing this message. Under type of file it says  Shell Favorites Folder. I cannot access any further

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 08:42:48 PM »

Hi,

According to Microsoft, you should be able to rename and recreate a new one.

Sylvain Amyot

murman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 09:44:41 PM »

ok i renamed and tried to copy files but could not open 'old Favorites' for any files or folders.  So i copied folder'old Favorites' to new folder 'Favorites' i could see the names of the folders and files whisk by in a box in the upper left. Then i tried to open the copied file does nothing still.  All the data is there just not the right path or something.  Please continue with the help it is greatly appreciated

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 09:58:23 PM »

Do you use anti-virus software?

I know it's astupid question BUT I have to ask!

murman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2003, 12:41:44 AM »

yes i did that also.  I was reading a win95 manual and the refered to certain lines and files one in particular was a 'win.ini'. I looked at mine in c:windows and there was no reference to 'Favorites' that i saw but that is pretty foreign to me.  It just seems like the executable part that would put it on the screen is gone, i dont know if that would be just a .exe file or what.  Or if i could just figure out where the files or pages are stored could copy from there.  I hope this is more help then hinderance to you because it shouldnt be this difficult.

murman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2003, 12:44:26 AM »

Is there a website where you can retrieve just the files not always download entire program or app?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2003, 01:27:05 PM »

Hi,

I am not quite sure what you mean by:
"Is there a website where you can retrieve just the files not always download entire program or app?"

The Favorites folder is a folder containing shortcuts to internet websites, there are no data files contained within it.

If you now open Internet Explorer, click on Favorites, do you see the list of internet shorcuts and if one is selected, does IE open that website?

Can you now add a website and see it in the Favorites list?

Sylvain Amyot

murman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2003, 07:52:29 PM »

hi,

I did change the folder names and it still did not let me see the folders within.  I copied the 'old Favorites' to the new 'favorites' and it copied but still did not allow me to few contents of that folder.  I got mad and deleted it to the 'recycle bin', i look their and there all of the folders, files are.  hmmmm. So i restore all to new 'Favorites' and can view.  BUT i still have no response throught ie5.5.  It will not let me delete 'old Favorites' either because it says it is a system file.  So i can view 'Favorites' through shortcut to windows explorer but still would like to get it to work with my browser.

You have been already so great with your info but i sure would like to get this problem fixed.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2003, 08:01:10 PM »

Hi,

Do you have many shortcuts? If not, try removing the "Favorites" again, recreate the folder and run IE, can you now add/edit/delete shortcuts? If so, don't copy the shortcuts over from the "Old_Favorites" but start over adding shortcuts when you visit sites.

Sylvain Amyot

murman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2003, 08:13:20 PM »

Hi,

I do have quite a few shortcuts but also the folders. Do you mean to remove both 'old' and 'new' Favorites, because if i could get a fresh clean start i will just save all shortcuts in another folder.  I tried to do this already but could not get anywhere because it is a system folder and i cant get at contents to delete

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2003, 08:21:56 PM »

Hi,

Keep the old for backup and remove the new "Favorites" you created earlier.
If c:\windows\favorites cannot be deleted you will have to do it from DOS

1. Shutdown to MS-DOS mode
2. Change to c:\windows (if not already there) by typing 'cd\windows' <ENTER> (no quotes)
3. Type 'deltree favorites' <ENTER> (no quotes)

This will delete the Favorites folder and all its contents.

4. Reboot to Windows and recreate c:\windows\Favorites
5. Reboot and then check if the Favorites works properly in IE

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: