MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: 98saferemove
August 21, 2019, 06:54:36 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2019, 06:54:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 98saferemove  (Read 848 times)
jp6615

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2005, 02:20:10 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:If you close the saferemove you will no longer be able to recognize your USB ports.

Ugh, in cleaning up my computer to give to my son for his use I inadvertently deleted the icon that looked like a scanner from settings.  I thought it was attached to my scanner only.  98 did a saferemove and placed the function in Cntrl Alt Delete window showing it as a running program titled 98saferemove.  
How can I restore to its proper place in the Settings configuration window?
Any help.
Thanks,
jp6615

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 03:10:49 PM »

Hello and Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca

Where exactly did you remove this icon from?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 03:57:33 PM »

Where exactly did you remove this icon from?
[/quote]
Gateway G 266M
OS 95/98/ME
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I removed the icon from the Settings Window.  I have been able to replace the icon by reinstalling Caere 4.0 as a scan manager.  However that is not the big problem.
The big problem is that 98saferemove is running in my task window (Cntrl/alt/delete).  When I attempt to end the task I get this message, "If you close this operation you will NOT be able to view or safely remove USB devices."
So two questions
1. How can I undo this 98saferemove?
2.  I just installed Windows ME to see if that would remediate the problem I noticed that ME installed a lot of USB drivers.  Is it now safe to close 98saferemove?
Thanks for your reply,
jp6615
PS 98saferemove seems to be a very active device.  It seems to be always running.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 11:00:29 PM »

Download and install:  HiJackThis.

(Always create a Folder for HiJackThis anywhere but your Temp/Temporary Internet Folders or Desktop. A good place to make a folder would be in My Documents, as this is where it will save the backup files needed if there's a problem.)

Then doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Do A System Scan And Save Log". Make sure all Windows and Browsers are closed.
When the scan is finished, best to save your text file in the same folder as where you put HiJackthis.

Copy/Paste the info from your saved Hijackthis log file in this thread.

***DO NOT TRY TO FIX ANYTHING, MAJOR DAMAGE CAN BE DONE TO YOUR SYSTEM IF THIS TOOL IS USED INCORRECTLY, PLEASE WAIT FOR AN ANALYST/MODERATOR TO GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS***

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 11:06:59 PM by Geekgirl » Logged

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: