MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Boot Problem...Very Strange!
November 18, 2019, 11:58:44 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 11:58:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boot Problem...Very Strange!  (Read 1011 times)
drew_5_10

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2005, 06:11:34 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have a compaq pesarerio 2500 and I was searching the web and all of a sudden a blue screen with a bunch of letter or either numbers came up. Then it quickly went to a black screen. Then this display came up saying " A disk error has occurred" Press Ctrl Alt Delt. to reboot. So therefore I did this and and it came right back up again. What do I do or what did I do?!

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 03:47:44 PM »

Hello and Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca

Not sure why it happened but here are some things to do.

Run Defragmenter

For Windows 2000/XP Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter
       Click the ANALYZE button and click the Defragmenter button
For Windows 98/ME Click Start | Run | Type in the box defrag and hit Enter | Click OK

Also, find the make of your hard drive and run their Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility
You can find them HERE

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:47:59 PM »

I cant even do that...Once I turn onto my computer It shows Compaq then the Intel 4 on the bottom then if you wanna push ESC. or F2 or F12 to do whatever it shows that then it goes to a black screen with a flashing ( - ) and then it says A disk read error has occurred, Press Ctrl Atl Del and I do that and the same thing keeps happening

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 12:48:22 AM »

What Operatung System are you using? Is your drive partioned FAT32 or NTFS?

First try changing IDE cables
Second place the hard drive by itself on the PRimary Controller

You may also want to try this:
If your using XP try Booting using the WinXP cd and use the recovery console (hitting R when it asks). IF and only IF you get the dos based screen AND you get something like:

1. C:\WINDOWS

If you do, then type 1 and hit enter, it will ask for your administrator password which I hope you know . Then at the command prompt enter: chkdsk /r
The /r switch tells chkdsk to scan the entire drive and recover any bad sectors. Depending on the size of your drive this could take a  long time. Once that is all said and done. Reboot the computer and you should not get the error. It's up for grabs how long this fix will last.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: