MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Word is applying format text when saved / Me
July 23, 2019, 05:01:34 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2019, 05:01:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Word is applying format text when saved / Me  (Read 1654 times)
Seth

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2003, 07:29:37 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hello,

Word 2000 on Me has recently been doing this:

When a document is saved and reloaded:
1) Document font changes to 10
2) Document is shifted to the left.
3) End of document now contains formatting text.

I have tried changing all the format and save options that I could find. I know I'm missing the obvious here!

Thanks,
Seth

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 08:38:34 PM »

Hi,

Just a quick question before I have to leave, could the document be reformatting due to the default printer? To test, add a Generic Text printer which prints to file instead of an LPT port, set it as default, create a new document, save, view, is the formatting OK?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Seth

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 08:45:54 PM »

Thanks for the reply Sylvain.

I'm rather new to Word, and fail to see the connection between your response and the save/formatting problem. However looking at your previous posts, I trust your judgement!

I'll give it a go...thanks!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 09:02:34 PM »

Hi,

The default printer information is stored with the document which will determine the font size/type used/saved in the document. But the more I think about this, I realize that this behaviour is something WordPerfect does and I am not sure if Word does it as well.

Are you opening Rich Text Format documents from files saved with an older version of Word? If so, apply service pack 3 for Office 2000 from http://office.microsoft.com/ProductUpdates/default.aspx

Hit the GO button (Scan my computer to find Office updates I need.)

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Seth

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 09:11:33 PM »

Hey Sylvain.

Changed options to "print to file", still the same prob.

These are not RTF files, just Word documents that I have recently written. I changed nothing before this problem began...must be Millenium Edition going behind my back and changing my settings again!!

In the meantime, I'm going to keep playing around with save/format options.

Thanks, Seth

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 09:17:15 PM »

Hi,

If your new to word then it is highly likely that you have not gone into the options menu to setuop the page setup

and the options for default font and language.

Also you may have to setup your paragraph formats from imperial to metric (DOH!)

I suggest you read your reference manuals on document formating and saving and especially in regard to template setup

Keep us up todate with this as it will take a while for you to sort it out

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 09:27:19 PM »

Hi,

If Word was recently installed by yourself and you know that no settings were changed and that all the options are at default, then this should not be happening and would not be surprised if WinME is part of the cause.

By default Word works "right out of the box", therefore I would try (may be a long shot) installing Service Pack 3 from the link I provided above.

If this is an older installation, which would have given time for someone to mess with the settings, then go through the options under Tools > Options and maybe you'll find what is causing this.

Sylvain Amyot

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 09:51:08 PM »

I understand that you have never used anit-virus software

You have a WORD MACRO virus!

Your problem is of your own making and my only suggestion it that you get the virus software stuff installed into your system NOW!

Please be aware that as it is now common knowledge that you DO NOT USE virus software. You must realise that advice given on this forum depends on the assumption that you have taken all precautions and attmpts to vet this sort of variable out of you posting before you apply for help.

I wont help you until you do me the favour of de virusing your system first!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 01:07:36 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 07:42:24 PM »

Hi,

A macro virus infects the normal.dot file which is the default blank page (template) you see when you open Word. If this file is indeed infected, this would explain this bizarre behavior.

Let us know if you find a virus.

Sylvain Amyot

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2003, 10:58:30 AM »

Great to hear that your problem was fixed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: