MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow Tips & Tricks arrow Topic: Manual Removal of Xupiter [:)]
July 24, 2019, 01:55:16 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2019, 01:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manual Removal of Xupiter [:)]  (Read 1846 times)
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »

Manual Removal of Xupiter

IN MY OPINION: (Be careful you will have to edit your registry for this to work) The only way to rid your system of Xupiter, is the following (win98):
Delete the directory c:\program files\Xupiter with "FIND" or Win. Explorer. However winfile or dos is a better choice.
(That will only work if you have set your "folder options" to show all files")
(Win. explorer> view, folder option, view tab)

IN winfile or dos this is C:\progra~1\Xupiter
(In winfile .. view, by file type.. all file types and show hidden or system files)
Using winfile (start, run, winfile) Yes, I said winfile.
(With show all hidden or system files turned on as noted above) Click down to the following directory.

C:\windows\downlo~1 and look for the Xupiter.ini or .inf file at the bottom of the file list.

Before you delete it, look at the File, properties. IT will give you the name of the plugin that has to be "removed". It should look like this: {A27CFCAE-9351-4D74-BFFC-21EB19693D8C}
Make a note of it, or skip to the next step (leave winfile open) and then delete it.
(Note: this file is completely hidden from windows. Win. Explorer cannot detect this file.
The file has some interesting properties that keeps windows from doing this.
The whole c:\windows\downloaded program files is a hidden directory. Explorer can "see" that hidden directory, but not this file.)

Next, Right click on the IE icon, and select properties.
In internet options, click on the "settings", then "view objects" button(s).
This will open the "downloaded program files" directory.
This is the only place windows will allow you to "remove" the plugin.
Find the plugin named above, or highlight all the plugins with the long #'s and right click, then select properties.. to locate the Xupiter plugin.. and then right click and remove it.
Close the directory..but leave internet options open.

The next step is a very very bad place to play.. Novices be careful! [It is recommended that you make a backup of your registry. See the instruction to make a backup of your registry.]
Start, run, regedit .
This opens your registry system file. Mess up this file and you have lots of trouble.
Before you delete anything you can do a run through and take note of the "find" matches.

Under "edit" select find. Put Xupiter in the search box. Click ok. Delete anything that matches Xupiter
After each deletetion press F3 to continue the search till you have gone all the way through the registry.

You should get at least 3 matches:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
Delete the 'XupiterStartup' entry in the Right Hand pane.

Also delete the following Registry Keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xupiter
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{A27CFCAE-9351-4D74-BFFC-21EB19693D8C}

Once your registry is Xupiter free close it and go back to the Internet Options.
Go to Internet Options, Programs tab, and hit "Reset Web Settings".
Close Internet Options.

Next, open IE, click on View, Explorer Bar, Search.
The search pane will open on the left of your browser.
Side it wider till you can see the "customize" search button and reset all your search choices.

Reboot your computer. If all is right with your system, do this: start, run, scanreg and accept the backup.

You should now be Xupiter tool bar free.

In reference to the xupiter tool bar.. After working on a file to explain how to remove it, I received a note that while ad-aware may not fully remove it till they release ver.6 that spybot is kept up to date...The recommended fix for xupiter is still spybot, but I think my remove by hand is still a complete fix.. Anyone want to infest their machine and see?

However, my remove was written for win98 and maybe ME, I don't know what XP people whould do

For all the others go here:

http://home1.gte.net/johnfull/n230.htm

it works  Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: