MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: File and Print Sharing
March 31, 2020, 05:46:18 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 05:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: File and Print Sharing  (Read 1061 times)
Owens o. Daniels

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2005, 03:06:19 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win Xp Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:File, Printer Sharing Undecided
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Compaq 3100 laptop & Desktop8)
Error Messages:None

I have a wireless laptop and wired desktop, both OS Win XP Pro.
I use a Linksys router connected to a broadband modem and PCMICA card to the laptop. The workgroup was set up using Win network wizard, desktop as host and laptop as client. Different names have been assigned to each computer. File and printer sharing has been enabled with simple file sharing disable on both computers. All computer share the same protocol TCP/IP. Both computers are able to access the internet, have printers connected to each with drivers for all printers on both. Shared folders have been placed on both desk tops with content to share.EmbarrassedIn network place both computers are able to see one another. The firewall zone alarm has both IP in it's trusted zone. The problem comes in when I want to map a file or share a printer from the host (desktop) to the client (laptop) it's not a problem seeing that when I click on my workgroup icon in mapping or add printer it allows me to browes the folders of the client and select the folder to share or printer to add. But when I take the same steps to share a folder (R/C my computer mapping drive) select workgroup I see both computers but the client will not allow me to select the host folders or printers. The icon for the host is in the dropdown tree of the workgroup but clicking on it nothing happens no dropdown no action. Now I can click on the clients icon in the same tree and it dropdowns all it's shared folders and printers.Undecided I have tried many things to include checking firewall, shared status of equipment, reloading network wizard and recreating network but the same results as above. Angry
Again the host is ok I can share folders or printer Huh?

Help........Cry

MikeM

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 07:44:58 PM »

My problem is very similar to the original post in this thread.  I am trying to set up a peer to peer network with a laptop and a desktop.  I have a Linksys wireless network.  My laptop is connected through the wireless connection.  My desktop is connected to an ethernet port on the router.  Both machines are running Windows XP Pro.  Firewalls are disabled on both machines. Both computers are visible on the network.  Both machines can be pinged from each other and both appear to be connected properly when I review the IPCONFIG.  Both machines are in the same workgroup and have unique names.  Instead of simple file sharing, I'm using advanced filesharing.  I can access shared folders on the laptop from the desktop with no problems.  My problem is trying to access shared folders on the desktop.  The desktop is visible in my network places.  When I try to access the desktop from the laptop, I am prompted for authentication.  Authentication fails.  The security log on the desktop is returning an error message that access was attempted with an invalid password.  After 3 attempts, the desktop is suspending the local user account.  When logging on locally to the desktop (after reactivating the account), the account logs on fine with the appropriate password.  I've double and triple checked all the file shares and NTFS permissions and they all seem to be in order. All accounts have been given permissions for remote logon.  I've tried with  my network settings with netbios from the router and netbios over ip. I've set-up all of the services on the desktop to mirror those on the laptop.  Both computers access the internet fine.  Any help would be appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by Owens o. Daniels

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win Xp Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:File, Printer Sharing Undecided
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Compaq 3100 laptop & Desktop8)
Error Messages:None

I have a wireless laptop and wired desktop, both OS Win XP Pro.
I use a Linksys router connected to a broadband modem and PCMICA card to the laptop. The workgroup was set up using Win network wizard, desktop as host and laptop as client. Different names have been assigned to each computer. File and printer sharing has been enabled with simple file sharing disable on both computers. All computer share the same protocol TCP/IP. Both computers are able to access the internet, have printers connected to each with drivers for all printers on both. Shared folders have been placed on both desk tops with content to share.EmbarrassedIn network place both computers are able to see one another. The firewall zone alarm has both IP in it's trusted zone. The problem comes in when I want to map a file or share a printer from the host (desktop) to the client (laptop) it's not a problem seeing that when I click on my workgroup icon in mapping or add printer it allows me to browes the folders of the client and select the folder to share or printer to add. But when I take the same steps to share a folder (R/C my computer mapping drive) select workgroup I see both computers but the client will not allow me to select the host folders or printers. The icon for the host is in the dropdown tree of the workgroup but clicking on it nothing happens no dropdown no action. Now I can click on the clients icon in the same tree and it dropdowns all it's shared folders and printers.Undecided I have tried many things to include checking firewall, shared status of equipment, reloading network wizard and recreating network but the same results as above. Angry
Again the host is ok I can share folders or printer Huh?

Help........Cry

MikeM

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:28:45 AM »

After walking through all of my security settings one more time, I was able to get file and printer sharing to work on both my laptop and my desktop.  The problem was incompatible session security in my local security settings.  My desktop LAN Manager Authentication Level was set to "Send NTLMv2 response only\refuse LM & NTLM" on my desktop, while the laptop was set for "Send LT & NTLM responses".  After setting my LAN Manager Authentication Level to "Send NTLMv2 response only\refuse LM & NTLM" on both the laptop and the desktop, I was able to authenticate remotely on both machines.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: