MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Trouble accessing websites (not the same as below)
August 23, 2019, 12:05:24 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2019, 12:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trouble accessing websites (not the same as below)  (Read 1625 times)
Kanestar

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2003, 07:11:58 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME 4.90.3000
Problem Application Name & Version: ALL internet browsers
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Compaq Presario 5002US
Error Messages: Depends on the browser

Alright, I've got a good one for ya.  There are certain webpages I can't access, including www.geocites.com (but I CAN access geocities.com W/O the www), www.rpgworldcomic.com (but, as with geocities, rpgworldcomic.com works), www.penny-arcade.com (but dropping the www. doesn't help)

I have the same problem in Netscape 4.7, Netscape 7.0, Opera, and IE.  I was fine for a long time, but this problem developed a few months ago on my old dial-up ISP (I now use cable), but the problem persists.  I tried all the recommended tips in the other thread for changing settings, but when I pinged www.penny-arcade.com (or www.geocities.com) I got either a timeout or "destination net unreachable"  I got the same thing if I tried to ping the IPs instead.

On an (assumingly) related problem, there's another site that I can access, but it's showing me a page from Sept 30th of 2002, and if I manually type in an address for a page created after that day, I get 404s.  But I KNOW these pages exist, because I can access them on my friend's computer. (www.nucklearpower.com/comic)

I'm open to suggestions.  I'm ready to pull my hair out on this one, as are my comp sci major friends who are getting sick of me asking if they've come up with anything.

Thanks!!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 07:22:46 PM »

Hi,

Do you have any firewall software installed? Try disabling it temporally to test.

Are you using a proxy for the cable connection?
In IE, check Tools > Internet Options...
On the "Connections" tab, click the "LAN Settings..." button
Do any of these options have a check? Try removing to see if it helps

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Kanestar

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 08:11:18 PM »

I currently don't have any firewall software installed, and nothing is checked under Connections/LAN.  Still having the problem.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 08:14:42 PM »

Hi,

It almost seems as thought your ISP is having trouble resolving domain names. I would call them to see if they have a fix for you. Maybe they have a secondary DNS server you can connect to so you can test.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Kanestar

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 08:32:03 PM »

I considered that (and on your advice, I'll call them) but I threw the idea out the window when I realized that I've tried three different ISPs with this computer (two dial-up, one cable) and I'm having the same problem.  I just figured it was something in my computer that I inadvertently messed up.  Thanks.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 12:54:48 PM »

It sounds as if you still have a huge web page cache in your system. Now there must be a setting that tells your browaer to either load the stored page from the cache over the existing one or not to update it's web page cache.

I suggest that you go here:  http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/windowwasher/index.php

and use window washer to clear out all your years old web cookies and caches...

Kanestar

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2003, 04:54:42 AM »

Well, just thought I'd let everyone in on how this went.  Window Washer was no help (but thanks for the idea, it was worth a shot).  Ultimately, the only thing left for me to try was to s**** Windows ME and switch to Windows 2000.  Everything is working peachy now.  Thanks for the help, everyone!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 03:05:31 PM »

Glad all is working for you! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: