MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: REBOOTING a Windows 2000 Dell Latitude C610 -- Need Advice!
June 06, 2020, 06:31:24 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 06:31:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: REBOOTING a Windows 2000 Dell Latitude C610 -- Need Advice!  (Read 1419 times)
shonbacon

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2005, 03:32:23 AM »

Operating Name:  Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version:  5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
System Model:  Dell Latitude C610

Problem:

Okay, little story first.  I had a Dell Inspiron (can't remember the model number) laptop that was stolen over the summer.  It had XP on it.

A friend recently gave me his Dell Latitude C610 laptop (with Windows 2000 Professional); it's in nice condition, but I'd like to do a reboot of the computer, kinda start from scratch, if you will.

Thing is...he doesn't have the reboot disk, and all I have is my Windows XP reboot disk for my old Dell Inspiron.

My question is can I install the XP disk onto the Latitude?  If not, how or where would I go to get a disk for the Latitude so that I can reboot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PeAcE

Shon
ChickLitGurrl :: Musings of a SOON-TO-BE Bestseller
http://chicklitgurrl.blogspot.com
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:50:12 PM »

From what I can gather, you can't use the reinstall disk on the Latitude, because most of the files it will depend on are sitting in a hidden partition on your old Inspiron. Win2k doesn't install in that manner so you don't have the necessary files to install it.

If you want to start from scratch, then I suggest uninstalling all programs you can find, except the ones you believe you'll use and then see if the machine will work properly. Since you don't have the recovery disk for Win2k, then you'd have to buy a retail version of it or WinXP and frankly it's not worth the hassle.

Get the trial version of Registry Mechanic and scan your system after you've uninstalled and deleted all the stuff you won't be using. That should keep your system in quite a decent shape for future use.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 01:57:40 PM »

You could check Dell's Support site for options. See if there's still warranty on the box, check if you can get an upgrade CD etc.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: