MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: regedit opens in dos
June 06, 2020, 04:11:26 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 04:11:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: regedit opens in dos  (Read 1837 times)
roberto

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2005, 07:58:23 AM »

hi guys, i have two problems with my windows 98se .
 It all started when i tried to uninstall norton corporate 7 . The program had become corrupted somehow, so i tried to use control panel,install, uninstall,but no go . After going to the symantec site and doing a manual uninstall, i was still unable to reinstall my old norton,or even install another version, and only got a message saying i must uninstall norton first.
I got so pissed off with the computer, i found every mention of norton and symantec and deleted them all. I have loaded E-Trust antivirus which seems ok. My problem is when i boot up, i get a message
  " Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows Application. The windows registry or System.ini file refers to this device file but the file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file. c:\progra`1\symantec\symevnt.386."
 I have done a google and come up with different solutions but i am unable to do anything in REGEDIT, because it is in dos, and a window pops up " this prog. has performed an illegal operation, etc."
 What have i done and what am i to do. I hope you can help.

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 12:43:15 AM »

Boot to Safe Mode, and open SYSEDIT - then find the reference in the system.ini (or perhaps the win.ini file)  file and remove the line it's in - rebooot to Normal Mode

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
roberto

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 08:43:15 AM »

Noel.MPV. i've looked, and looked, and just can,t see anything that looks out of the ordinary, so i've included the sys.ini., and the win. ini. I hope you can help, thanks for your yule time!.

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 09:55:53 AM »

Hmmm - I could have sworn that the vxd was loaded by system.ini! - try a search of the Registry using regedit.....aaaaahh! - found where it should be...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\current control set\services\vxd

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
roberto

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »

Noel, i've deleted that junk out of the win.ini.file, but i can't open regedit to check on the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\current control set\services\vxd thing. So i am not sure if i am able to use another stand alone program, or if there is one.REGEDIT only opens in DOS. Any ideas?

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 10:50:19 AM »

Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it pressed down (or release and press, release and press) until an options window comes up, then release it.
(If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
Press Enter
You will now see C:\>
Type in SCANDISK , all small letters, and it will look like:
C:\>SCANDISK , then press Enter. Takes about 5 min. maybe.
When finished:
Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
You will now see C:\>SCANREG /FIX
Press Enter
This will take about 5 minutes or so.
when finished, press Enter for OK.
Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.

This will fix your registry up to a point.

Jord.
roberto

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 01:12:54 AM »

Howdy Ageless, i did as you said, and scandisk worked well, but when i entered scanreg\fix as per instructions, i got the lines.
WINDOWS REGiSTRY CHECKER
USAGE: SCANREG[/]

?  :  DISPLAYS USAGE
BACKUP : BACKUP REGiSTRY
RESTORE : CHOOSE BACKUP TO RESTORE
FIX : REPAIR REGiSTRY
 COMMENT
and nothing autoran, so  what i should do here.
What i did notice though, was the error message displayed a different location . The first was OE12:02EC, and now i have OE12:0325.
What do you reckon?
 Thanks for your time guys

roberto

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 01:56:06 AM »

Hey guys, i managed to open regedit via a regcleaner and deleted the ratbag problem.
Thanks for your help.Its a bit strange that regedit could open in regcleaner, but couldn't from the run command eh!.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: