MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Wireless Devices Problems arrow Topic: Aquiring Network Address problems
December 08, 2019, 10:26:27 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2019, 10:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aquiring Network Address problems  (Read 2979 times)
gtoman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2005, 06:02:32 PM »

I have a wireless network with a linksys wrt54g router. my base station is running xp home and so is my wireless Toshiba laptop and my daughters wireless Compaq laptop. i went to the linksys Wirless-G broadband router website (192.168.1.1) and set up WPA-TKIP Personal encryption and assigned it a 12 digit WPA Shared Key.
My daughters new Compaq laptop works fine with these settings but my Toshiba laptop, in the "Choose a Wireless Network" program box says "Aquiring network address". it shows IP address 0.0.0.0 : Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0 : Assigned by DHCP : IPv6 Enabled : Access Point : Network:(my network name) : Encryption Disabled (why disabled when set to WPA-TKIP?-Is this a problem?) and Signal Strength Excellent.
How can I get the Toshiba to get an IP Address and all the other settings to work in encryption?
I also found my neighbors wireless network name shown in the "Choose a wireless Network" dialog box so when my network is set to "Disabled" for encryption they can see everything we have on our pc's if they want to. NOT GOOD!!
Thanks,Jim

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:47:44 AM »

Why didnt you use WEP instead, are you that concerned about security?
If you run a network with only the default security, where WEP is turned off, any of your neighbors can immediately log on to your network and use your Internet connection. Disable SSID Broadcast and your neighbor wont even know your on a wireless network.   Roll Eyes

If you can see your neighbors network name in your choices he obviously doesnt have SSID disabled.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: