MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Connectivity
June 06, 2020, 04:43:45 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 04:43:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Connectivity  (Read 922 times)
Jase the Cat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2005, 07:25:19 PM »

Hi guys and gals, I wonder if you can help me out with a little issue I have?
I am not sure this is the correct place for this post, but browsing the forum, I am not sure where else to place it. Sorry.

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop, model PCG-V505EX. I purchased a Sony Plasma TV and want to connect the two together. Being Sony, I thought it would be easy, but no such luck.

My Sony Vaio has a VGA Monitor out. USB port, S400 I (not sure what that is), a mic and headphone hole, and a pcmcia slot.

The Plasma does not have a vga connection (god knows why, my other two have one). It has many A/V inputs and S Video intputs, and one DVI-HDTV or DVI-D input. It also has a hd/dvd (1080i,720p,480p,480i)

I cannot find a compatible adapter/connector, or do not know even what I should connect with what?

I would really appreciate your advice. Do you know if there is a product or combination of products I can use to connect these two?

Jase.

Jase Smiley
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 02:12:48 PM »

What you are looking for is a VGA to DVI-D adapter.

Like this one... but then probably with a longer cable.

Jord.
Jase the Cat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:48:40 PM »

Jord, thanks for the pointer, but this is unfortunately not the right cable.
Whenever I look for an adapter, this is the one I end up with. The female socket on the back of my TV, Sony KE-50XS910, does not have the four pins around the horizontal slot to the left of the pin cluster. I have tried to paste a picture below, but I am not sure it is copying.
I need a male without those four pins?

I have found this posted on the internet, about the TV; DVI-HDTV In
This input consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and a DVI-D terminal. The DVI-D terminal can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The DVI-D terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers.
Note: The DVI-D input will accept 1080i, 720p, and 480p signals.

Does this mean I can not do it? Or is there another way I can connect the laptop to the TV?

Sorry, but I am doing a bit of searching whilst posting. OK, what about trying these two cables together? I won't blow anything up will I? Based on what is written above, does it mean, the connection is not intended to be used, or can not be used? Any advice would be appreciated.
Two cables:
DVIVGAF-10IN  10 Inch DVI-A Male to VGA HD15 Female Analog Cable 
DVIMF-3  3 Meter DVI-D Digital Male to Female Extension, Dual Link 

Jase

Jase Smiley
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 10:14:10 PM »

Well, there is of course the option for a normal VGA to DVI adapter.
Then separate you buy a DVI to RGB connector.

The only problem you're left with is a) it costs a lot of money, b) you don't have audio yet and c) it costs a load of money. Wink

Maybe looking into a Audio/Video switchbox will get you underway. But heck, it ain't cheap. I just don't quite know how to connect it all.

I'll go look up your laptop tomorrow, see what I can find extra on the beast. Wink

Jord.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:14:33 PM »

I looked into it and now think it cannot be done.

But you may ask for a second opinion at your local electronics shop.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: