MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: changing hard drive
June 03, 2020, 09:18:38 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2020, 09:18:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: changing hard drive  (Read 923 times)
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2005, 03:52:38 AM »

Hi there,

I was wondering if any of you have heard of a reliable place or places on the net where we can "store" or leave a backup copy of a hard drive?

Thanks much
Nikki
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 02:08:58 PM »

Isn't it easier to use a utility like Ghost and then burn it off to DVDs?
I don't know how big the harddrive is, but do you know how long it will take to upload the X amount of data and then later download it again? Wink

Jord.
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 02:55:30 PM »

Hi Jord and thanks for taking the time.

My harddrive is old, it's a Samsung SV1022D.  My pc is an HP pavillion with 531 mhz and 320mb of ram.   I run with Windows XP Pro 2002 - no sp2 - yes it is slow and I wish to get a bigger harddrive 'cause mine started making a clicking sound about a month ago. 
Now I understand it my be easier to burn it all on cd but don't got one of those.  That was why I asked if it could be done by using a "briefcase" of some kind on the net.  I also heard that I could "clone" my HD but if it has problems on it, the cloned copy will bring the probs back where I don't wish to have them.  Any suggestions Jord on how to transfer or backup my HD without a cd burner?

Nikki
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 04:10:33 PM »

If you can spare the expense, you can go for http://www.streamload.com
They do have a 10GB free account, but it can only download something like 100MB per month.

Jord.
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 05:24:20 PM »

How reliable are these kinds of accounts in terms of security?  Have you heard of yahoo briefcase, any thoughts on it?   

Thx
Nikki
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: