MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: help with reformatting the hdd and clean install of xp
November 19, 2019, 08:09:31 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 08:09:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help with reformatting the hdd and clean install of xp  (Read 878 times)
qwikie77x

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2005, 05:53:46 AM »

hello, i want to completely wipe out my pc's hdd and do a clean install of xp. ive read several how-to articles on the web but they all really complicated. i just want simple instructions how to reformat the hdd, specifically i want to know if i need some kind of bootdisk to get the job done.  or will booting my xp cd straight from the cd-rom and performing a clean install wipe the hdd completely so i dont have to do any funny business? im very computer savy but this is the first time im gonna reinstall xp, any help would be most appreciated. thanks in advanced!!!
-luis-

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 01:47:55 PM »

or will booting my xp cd straight from the cd-rom and performing a clean install wipe the hdd completely
Yes, that will do the trick. As long as you don't choose any of the Repair options.

Or just follow the step by step manual here
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 01:49:30 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
belveder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 12:00:41 AM »

Get Acronis Drive Cleaner, make a boot disk with it then reboot your computer with the Acronis Boot Disk in the cdrom, it will give you different options on how many passes you want with your format.  The default is a four pass format, giving it a proper, clean format, which using the XP disk will not

Image removed.
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 01:42:47 AM »

I have formatted and replaced several pc from win98 to win xp pro,,I use win98 floppy start up disc and type in "format c: /s" it wipes the hd clean then I boot with win xp pro cd and install (as long as the necessary boot order is correct in the bios) ex floppy,cd,hd

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: