MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: norton removal
November 19, 2019, 08:12:51 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 08:12:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: norton removal  (Read 2061 times)
k1dfreeze

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2005, 09:57:07 AM »

hello, how do you remove norton internet security with nortan antivirus?  i tried running the uninstall under add/remove programs, but it says im not authorized...thanks in advance

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 07:18:09 PM »

First of all, you need to have administrator rights to remove anything Norton related from your system.
And to be brutally honest, you'd be better off removing everything Norton from it. Then go for Outpost free firewall and one of AVG, Antivir, Avast Antivirus solutions. All of those programs do a much better job of keeping your system clean.

But since you can't get rid of Norton without admin rights, it's dead in the water. Have you spoken to whoever is your system admin about this?

k1dfreeze

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:05:28 PM »

its my sisters laptop, and ive installed AVG and just turned Norton off for now...if i reboot her laptop and login as admin, i should be able to remove it?

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 10:23:51 PM »

yes you should.
I would make a point of downloading Outpost Free Edition first though, just to make sure that you have a good firewall available when you have gotten rid of the **** that is Norton.

k1dfreeze

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 02:19:45 AM »

ok i rebooted in safe mode and logged in as admin...i tried running the uninstaller but it says it has to be "normal mode" bringing me back to the issue of admin rights...also i installed zonealarm for her firewall

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 09:26:55 PM »

What you can do in Safe Mode is to upgrade her user account to have Admin rights. Then you should have full rights to uninstall Norton from the system.

Go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management and then select Local Users and Groups and in there select Users

That's where you can check her access rights and if she's set as anything but Administrator, then you should make her one while you get rid of Norton.
If you don't trust her to keep using the account with Admin rights, then you can change her back to Power User after you've finished getting rid of the unwanted stuff.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 12:51:35 PM »

I just came across your thread in the Security and Viruses thread and see that you still can't get rid of Norton.
Does your sister still have the original installation disks for Norton?
And if she does, can you install it again over itself and then remove it?

k1dfreeze

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 12:36:21 AM »

ok, im now having this problem on 2 laptops, my girlfriend just got a sony vaio with norton preinstalled and i cant uninstall her's either...on both of their laptops, their user accounts are both set as administrators, yet still getting the *admin rights* error...neither systems came with installation discs, so reinstalling is not an option...my thoughts on this is that norton protected its programs with their own admin protected programs to prevent people from changing settings...thus, i would have to be a norton employee or know the procedure to access the admin section...

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »

Now that's highly annoying. I'd almost be tempted to recommend doing a FDISK partition killing job and then reinstall the OS. The problem with that is that you'd never get the programs back that you've installed. Of course you'd have to back up all data you've got.

As long as you can keep Norton completely silent, then you should be fine. I do recommend opening Start->Run and at the prompt type Services.msc
Search for everything to do with Symantec and Norton and disable it via the properties panel for each entry. Of course that's only if you haven't already done that.

I really feel for you there Sad

k1dfreeze

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »

i figured it out!!! i want onto the Symantec website and found their own uninstaller which apparantly is not included with thier products...how stupid is that...none the less, i got norton off and everything is good! well everything with this issue, now on to my other threads *sigh*

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: