MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: (Maxtor) External Hard Drive & iPod problems . . .
June 06, 2020, 06:03:30 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 06:03:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Maxtor) External Hard Drive & iPod problems . . .  (Read 1638 times)
brianmik

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2005, 03:49:44 PM »

I've had an iPod that's worked fine for a long time, however, when I added an external hardrive (Maxtor One-Touch) both devices never seem to work at the same time.  Both are classified as "USB Mass Storage Devices" in Windows (SP2 - Home), and on reboot, only one or the other will work.  It'sn only a big problem b/c all my music is kept on the external harddrive - so they can never be accessed at the same time...
Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

ps.  I've updated all drivers and reinstalled all software associated with the two devices...

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 04:05:37 PM »

Is one of either just not seen? Do both get their electricity from the USB port, or are they equipped with external power packs? I suspect you can't power them both at the same time, if they grab their electricity from the USB port.

Jord.
brianmik

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 04:49:42 PM »

Although the iPod gets power from the USB port, the external harddrive should not (it contains a seperate power cable).  what actually happens is that when one device is working (usu. the one plugged in first), the other shows up in the device manager as "USB mass storage device," but does not work.  For instance, the Maxtor hard drive shows up as "Maxtor One-Touch" IF IT IS working (e.g. no iPod), but when it is not workng it shows up as "USB Mass Storage Device," but there is no icon for the drive under "my computer."

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 04:57:46 PM »

Ok, do they get a drive letter? Is it perhaps the same drive letter that they get?
If you go to Control Panel->Administartive Tools->Computer Management->Removable Storage, do they both show up in the list of Physical Locations?

Jord.
brianmik

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 05:11:43 PM »

Actually, neither shows up under the "removable storage" section, however, they are assigned different drive letters - f: & g:

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 08:11:46 PM »

Hmm.
Which one disappears after a reboot? Or does that change as well?
Do they change their drive letters among eachother?
Have you tried setting their drive letter in Disk Management? Or map their drive letter?

Jord.
brianmik

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 02:47:31 AM »

After a reboot the hard drive always works, and the iPod is not readable.  Windows ussually hangs for a long time during startup waiting for the iPod, and will continue start up once the iPod is disconnected.  The drive letters are always consistent, but I haven't tried setting their letter or mapping the drive (i don't know how to go about doing that. . .)

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 02:53:59 AM »

Mapping the drive?

Start->Help, Index, type in drive .. you'll be pointed to drive letters and some sub-options. One should be mapping. Double click on it and Windows will tell you how to do it.

Jord.
brianmik

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 04:51:36 PM »

I guess I only see the information about mapping network drives.  The drive assignments for the hard drive and iPod don't show up there.  I did assign the drive letters for the two mass storage devices, and they never seem to change.

brianmik

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 05:02:50 PM »

Oh - does it matter that the harddrive is formatted as a FAT32 drive?  The first time I pugged it in I was prompted to reformat to NTFS - but I didn't b/c there was preloaded data on the drive that I wanted to keep...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: