MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: not sure how to fix a file..
November 19, 2019, 09:32:38 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 09:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: not sure how to fix a file..  (Read 929 times)
lildevil91

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2006, 08:55:53 PM »

my pc is a windows xp home edition , my processor speed is 2.4. memory: it has two 512 memory cards video cards is a geforce fx 5500, ....
i had virus on my pc which i'm not sure ow they got there when i do a quick scan with my spyware doctor every day and do a vs scan almost everyday, but anyway i finally got it cleaned of virus and was trying to update my virus scan software and pc won't let me it says the lsass won't be or can't be written.   what is the lsass file and can it be fixed??  or do i have to reinstall windows xp??  i'm currently using my old pc ..cause i can't use the new one to go online. thankfully i still had ths old one.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:00:44 PM »

lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies.

First lets see if the file got pooched

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow   ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »

ok i'll try that and hopefully it will work, if not i'll let you know
lildevil91

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 05:12:06 PM »

ok i  couldn't do it with my cousin cd so i am ordering one and will try it after...i think i may have finally got rid of the bug/virus/malware but am unsure...either way it still won't let me update...but will try what you suggested.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 11:59:42 PM »

Its possible you still have some virus issues. Have you had an analyst take a look at a HiJAckThis log yet? Why dont you post one here I will look it over.
Download and install:  HiJackThis.

(Always create a Folder for HiJackThis anywhere but your Temp/Temporary Internet Folders or Desktop. A good place to make a folder would be in My Documents, as this is where it will save the backup files needed if there's a problem.)

Then doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Do A System Scan And Save Log". Make sure all Windows and Browsers are closed.
When the scan is finished, best to save your text file in the same folder as where you put HiJackthis.

Copy/Paste the info from your saved Hijackthis log file into this thread.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: