MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Install XP on scsi - upon restart - no boot on SCZ
December 11, 2019, 10:19:52 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2019, 10:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Install XP on scsi - upon restart - no boot on SCZ  (Read 1490 times)
soccerpeve

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2003, 06:40:01 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Professional
Problem Application Name & Version:  
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Seagate Barracuda st136475LC Adaptec AHA-2940U2W
Error Messages: "Can't find boot log"

As stated above I have a seagate barracuda with the adaptec controller card.  When installing Windows XP I boot directly from the cd to start setup.  (this is a new build)  After the drive is formatted and files are copied to the drive, windows restarts to continue setup.  However, even if I set the boot to the scsi drive it says "boot log/file not found" and searches elsewhere.  With the xp cd in the drive, it continues the exact same process as the one I had just completed by asking to format and copy setup files, it then restarts...again...  I have tried EVERYTHING in the bios to change boot sequence to continue setup but it's no good.  I will kiss the ground that you walk on if you can help me!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 08:28:55 PM »

Hi,

I have seen this where Windows would assign drive letters to IDE devices before SCSI in Windows NT which WinXP is based on, after the first reboot during setup.

Make sure if there is an option in the BIOS to access SCSI devices first (not the boot order but another option) that it is set to SCSI.

What I would do is get a Win98 Startup disk, partition and format the drive using FAT32, no need to make it bootable. Once done, boot off the Win98 Startup disk and select "With cdrom support" to load cdrom drivers. Then copy the "i386" folder from the WinXP cd to the hard drive. Reboot, go into the BIOS and disable primary and secondary IDE controllers. Reboot off the Win98 Startup disk with no cdrom support and install WinXP from the "i386" folder on the hard drive (run c:\i386\winnt.exe). Since the IDE controller is disabled, there is only one device to assign a drive letter (your hard drive) therefore this problem should not occur. Once setup has completed, run Computer Management's "Disk Management" and make sure everything is OK with the hard drive and it is set to drive c. Then reboot and re-enable the IDE controllers (if your cdrom is IDE) and hope WinXP will not go IDE first.

If you want the drive to be converted from FAT32 to NTFS use the 'convert' command in an MS-DOS Prompt window once all is done.

I have never installed WinXP from the hard drive but if it is like every other OS MIcrosoft put out it should be possible.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
soccerpeve

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 03:09:17 AM »

Ok, I am using a different motherboard now (a better one) and in the bios it has "bootable card" options.  It doesn't have my card listed.  I know the problem involves not detecting the card and thus the HD on startup, I have no idea how to go about fixing that.  Think I'm going to have to buy a new card??

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 02:51:20 PM »

Hi,

I think you put your finger on the problem!

WinXP should have support for the Adaptec AHA-2940U2W SCSI controller but may not. You will have to supply the SCSI drivers during setup.

1. Get the SCSI controller drivers on a floppy.
2. During the text-mode phase of setup, Windows pauses briefly and prompts you to press F6. This option is displayed in the status line and allows you to use an OEM driver.

See this article for more details:
Limited OEM Driver Support Is Available with F6 During Windows XP Setup

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
soccerpeve

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 09:01:58 PM »

You there?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 09:05:56 PM »

yes!

Did you try what I suggested in my previous post?

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: