MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Can't install Soundblaster drivers on new HD
September 17, 2019, 06:02:46 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 06:02:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't install Soundblaster drivers on new HD  (Read 2141 times)
belveder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2003, 06:17:22 AM »

I just bought an 80 gig Western Digital hard drive with 8 meg cache, put it in as a slave drive, partitioned it using Partition Magic 8 from my original hard drive (running XP Pro) and then took the old drive out and installed XP Pro on the new hard drive.

The problem is now I can't install my Soundblaster Live 5.1 se drivers.  Either the computer reboots and erases all the soundblasters files on reboot or I keep getting a message

"component : jet detection
 file group : jet detection

somemore stuff that I forget

volume label syntax is wrong"

I tried installing each component from the Soundblaster disk or from the updated drivers I have on the hard drive  individually and still get the "volume label syntax is wrong".

I am running a Celeron 850 on an AOpen mobo  with 640 meg ram so it should handle the hardware easily enough.

Could someone please help me out with this one?

Thankyou very much in advance

Image removed.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 03:11:11 PM »

Hi,

I am not sure if the "volume label syntax is wrong" is referring to the hard drive volume label but you should check in Computer Management > Disk Management to make sure the drive's status is "Healthy". Also try renaming the drive's volume label by right clicking the drive letter in "Disk Management", selecting "Properties" and then on the "General" tab changing whatever is in that first field on that tab.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
belveder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 12:48:50 AM »

Yep the drive was healthy.  Tried reformatting but it didn't make any difference, so I tried putting good old reliable Windows 2000 Pro on and it worked perfectly, now I'm more confused lol

Could XP possible not like the new hard drive?

Thanks again

Image removed.
Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 09:47:14 AM »

Hi Steve

I have recently had a similar problem and I was told that XP is not not compatible with certain SoundBlaster drivers. Have you tried installing a different card?

All the best,

Hurdy

belveder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 11:28:34 AM »

The thing is though, the card worked perfectly fine with XP until I went to using the new hard drive.  Can I get awy with using the old drive (30 gig 5400 rpm ATA 66) for my operating system and the new hard drive 7200rpm ATA 100 for everything else, will the new drive slow down to much?

If I can, what would be the best way to hook it up?

Thanks again

Image removed.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 02:42:32 PM »

Hi,

Since the new drive is faster I would try to use it as your boot drive and have WinXP installed on it. Did you install the same SoundBlaster Live 5.1 drivers in the old installation of WinXP or did you use the built-in drivers for WinXP originally?

What is different between both installation, besides the drives?

Are you using the latest SoundBlaster WinXP drivers from
 http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download2.asp?centric=109&maincat=11&os=10&subcat=16 ?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
belveder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 08:16:35 PM »

I installed Win XP on the new drive as a fresh install, then put the drivers on the new drive.

Image removed.
belveder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2003, 03:01:25 AM »

Forgot to answer the other questions lol

I am using the same drivers that I used with my last hard drive and they are the latest ones, so it's not that, that is the problem.

There aren't any other setup or hardware differences, that's what makes it confusing.  I have tried installing without the old hard drive but that didn't help.  Since I only have an 850, if I run the old one with the OS and the new one as the slave, would the speed difference be that noticeable?

Image removed.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2003, 05:43:24 PM »

Hi,

Have you tried installing the drivers in Safe-Mode?

Hit F8 before WinXP boots up to access boot menu.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: