MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Mozilla Thunderbird - password authentication failure
March 29, 2020, 11:15:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2020, 11:15:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mozilla Thunderbird - password authentication failure  (Read 10026 times)
PrinceRoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2006, 01:33:19 PM »

Sorry, this may have been answered on a thread already but haven't had time to conduct a proper search. Switched to Thunderbird email client recently but experienced difficulty downloading email. Now unable to access email server as password is rejected with a re-authentication failure. Email server is running as normal.

I've also switched back to Outlook Express - same problem. The solution may be obvious and I'd appreciate similar experiences shared here.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 01:47:49 PM »

Have you checked if the server itself isn't just buggered up? Can you access it via browser, as in webmail services like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo?
See if your username/password combo is as it should be, as well as other settings/configurations.

Then report back with your findings
Good luck

PrinceRoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 02:16:49 PM »

Yes, I can access email via the web, road tested both yahoo and hotmail. No problems. My ISP reports their server is fully operational and I've had minor teething problems ever since setting up Thunderbird 2 months ago. Have checked incoming and outgoing email server settings and username/password is as normal.

Initially I had to enter password 2-3 times before successful download but now I get the error message "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.onetel.com responded re-authentication failure"

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 02:28:59 PM »

In that case I suppose you best contact the tech boffins at your ISP. You'll probably need their assistance in setting up your Thunderbird to get the best possible setup. Btw, is it possible that your firewall is interfering?

How did you set up Thunderbird? Did you import settings from another client or did you enter all the info manually?

PrinceRoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 02:40:32 PM »

I did disable my firewall as a precaution but no effect. Initially, I imported all settings from another email client and everything seemed fine but recently email access has been intermittant at best and so I decided to set up my email access manually but still the problem remains. I wish I could say I can migrate back to my previous email client (the ghastly Outlook Express) but this is blocked also. As other clients are experiencing the same access denial it suggests the problem is a server one but my ISP assures me their servers are operational.

I'm not a rookie on these sort of matters and I have tied most of the obvious but it has got me beat. I have hotmailed tech support at my ISP but they are not renowned for their alacrity, hence I sought help here.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 02:44:37 PM »

Since you have already taken all the possible steps to make sure that your system is configured correctly, it leads to the rather obvious assumption that despite their claims, it's their servers that have been compromised somehow.

If you have a Gmail account, you can set it up for POP3 access and test your Thunderbird that way. If you don't have one, just send me a private message and I'll send you an invitation to one. Just make sure that the account you direct me to is easily accessed by you Smiley

PrinceRoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 03:05:27 PM »

Is Gmail the new Google Mail service? If so, I wasn't aware this was up and running yet but on limited test release only. By private message you mean by webmail?

PrinceRoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »

or by IM?

PrinceRoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 05:27:43 PM »

Actually - the situation has been resolved by my ISP finally admitting they have server 'malfunctions'! I just need to sit tight until the problem is resolved. Thanks for all your suggestions.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 05:36:28 PM »

That's excellent news mate.

In case you want the invitation for a gmail account, I can send you one Smiley
They don't have an open registration program going yet, as the service is still being Beta tested. So they rely on people sending invitations to friends and family and anyone else who might be interested Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: