MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Freezing/Cd-Rom issues..
August 18, 2019, 01:57:30 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2019, 01:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Freezing/Cd-Rom issues..  (Read 1061 times)
Avalan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2003, 04:22:02 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:WIN 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:none

My CD-ROM died,I haven't replaced it with a new one yet,using a used 4x for now.My comp started locking up soon after,which I first thought was due to the used cd-rom being defective.So I tried another used 4x.My comp now freezes anytime,during games,on the internet,it's completely  random.Someone told me that if I didn't unplug my comp,and completely shut down before I replaced my original defective cd-rom,that there could be power left over in machine that could potentionally harm any other cd-rom installed.
If anyone could help with this,or any other reason why my comp would all of a sudden start locking up,it would be greatly appreciated.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 06:14:53 PM »

Hi,

Is the replacement cdrom drive the same make and model as the original one?
Perhaps there are dos level cdrom drivers loading at startup.
Check the c:\autoexec.bat and c:\config.sys to see if cdrom drivers are loading or paste their contents in your reply so I can see what is in them.

ATX form factor system usually still supplies power to the motherboard even when turned off. Without more info on your system specs it is difficult to say what you have but unplugging the power and ribbon cable from your cdrom drive should not cause any problems even if the system has an ATX form factor (usually PII and up systems)

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Avalan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 09:02:57 PM »

Thx for replying,appreciated!
Didn't know how to paste info so I went to DOS mode,and typed 'Edit' to access config and autoexec,here's all that was listed in those files:

Config:
        DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
        DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

Autoexec:
        SET BLASTER=A220 17 D1 P330 T6
        SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV
-----------------------------------------------------------

Other info :

System resources= 82% free(just recently formatted drive)
OS          : WIN 98(I have 98SE & XP Pro available,if it makes a diff)
Form Factor : 30.5cm x 22.8cm , ATX size form factor,4 layers PCB
Motherboard : 7zx series , VIA KT133 chipset
CPU         : AMD Athlon 950mhz, Socket A , 256/64K L2 cache on die
BIOS        : AMI BIOS , 2M bit flash ROM
VIDEO       : Nvidia GeForce4 MMX 440 , 64mb
Plus 1 HD (8 gig), 256mb RAM

I'm not sure if any of the above is relevant,or where else to find any pertinent info I might be missing.

Additional info :I just recently replaced my video card,previous one the fan stopped working,was told the card then burnt out.So its brand new.It was then that I found out my original CD-ROM was dead as well.Was told that could have been the result of being fried along with the video card.Have not replaced with a new CD-ROM yet,( I've been trying used 4x units)due to being told that every future install could be affected by the "excess power remaining in board" scenario,because I didn't unplug and completely shut down system before replacing CD-ROM.
I hope I've explained all this in a understandable way.If not please ask again,and thx for taking the time out for me! Bye for now.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 01:43:50 PM »

Hi,

Is the system locking up while using the cdrom drive or at any time?
Does the system lock up if the cdrom drive is disconnected?
How do you know the lock ups are related to the cdrom drive at all?
Does the cdrom drive work, can you read cds?
quote:
...being told that every future install could be affected by the "excess power remaining in board" scenario,because I didn't unplug and completely shut down system before replacing CD-ROM...
Whoever told you this has no clue what they're talking about! Huh? There is no way that installing a new cdrom drive will get damaged from a previous installation unless the power supply and/or motherboard is defective and frying cdrom drives.
Was the computer turned on when you replaced the video card and cdrom drive or was the system shutdown but simply plugged it?
The system should definitely be unplugged (if ATX form factor) to replace cards but would not cause damage disconnecting ribbon cables and power connectors to cdrom drives (or hard drives) if left plugged in (and powered off of course).

Please answer these questions so I can get a good idea of your problem

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 03:28:07 PM »

Hi,

You now have three different threads open with lock up problems.
I will close this one and we will continue the discussion here:
http://www.mytechsupport.ca/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topic=1065

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: