MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Windows 2000 installation failure
March 29, 2020, 11:56:16 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2020, 11:56:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 2000 installation failure  (Read 993 times)
awong

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:52:07 PM »

an existing P3 clone computer running windows 2000 professional on Asus A7V motherboard with 128M ram crashes after system reports services after services not running properly.

The harddisk was reformatted and clean reinstall w2k. Installation with 4 floppy disks went fine. Subsequent drive formatting to ntfs ok. Once it start copying files from the CD, it reports some files copy failure claiming that the files are invalid w2k images. I try reinstallation with another w2k CD from my other computer and got the same problem. Try with a new harddrive, same problem. Try with a different CD-ROM, same problem. Virus scan on the 4 floppies and CD with symantic coroporate edition results in no virus. Any help?

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 09:42:41 AM »

This looks like you may have a hardware problem - check your RAM using DocMem or MemTest86.

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 08:02:54 PM »

Memtest86 comes as a part of the live CD from Knoppix linux. If you're brave enough to try downloading it and creating the bootable CD.

http://www.linuxiso.org links you to the Knoppix download.

oberwil

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:50:11 AM »

I had a motherboard also that did pretty much the same thing. It would crash at different points during formatting or finally at copying files to disk. That is the furthest I could get.
Changed out RAM and still the same problem. So I suspect some part of the motherboard went bad for me.

I suggest that you follow the advice on memtest. You can burn it to a Bootable CDROM and check your memory. W2K is very picky on hardware. Make sure that all your hardware is on the list. Try using the second IDE controller and see if that works. If not you probably have a bad motherboard.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: