MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: New computer I can't figure out...
March 31, 2020, 10:48:45 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 10:48:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New computer I can't figure out...  (Read 1113 times)
Qlingk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2006, 12:58:59 AM »

I recently purchased a laptop on eBay.  It's a Toshiba Portege 3480CT, with 600MHz Pentium III, 192 SDRAM, and 20 Gigs of memory.  It says it has an integrated network card with ethernet capabilities.  It actually seems to be functionally great except for 2 little problems. 

It didn't come with any disc drives, so I checked and saw that this computer already has a driver for a TEAC 224E CD drive, so I purchased one on eBay.  I'm pretty sure this drive will be fine as an external drive, but now I'm concerned about what cable I'll need to connect it to the hub that has the ports for printers, USB, etc.

Also, I think this computer has wireless networking capabilities, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it going.  I have a Linksys Wireless B router set up for my other 2 computers (my husband and I are both students), which should be able to provide wireless internet to the laptop.  Even so, I connected the laptop via cable to the router in hopes of providing the most reliable connection.

Anyway, I've checked the "Wireless Network" icon in the control panel, and it says the "Toshiba FIR Port Type-DO" is working.  Is this hardware that will help wireless internet connection?  I've also tried setting up "Network and Dial-Up Connections," with "Dial up to the internet," as well as "Connect directly to another computer," neither of which does anything to establish a connection.  Is there a magic wand--something I'm doing wrong?

Do I have to wait until the CD drive shows up (and what will I need to connect it when it does get here)?  At that point, once I install the router software on the laptop, will I need anything further (hardware, cards, etc.) to make it wireless ready?  Please help!  Thanks.

~RDW~
You're only immortal for a limited time.
Puppet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 01:05:23 AM »

Sorry to say that laptop does not come with wireless capabilities. The FIR is for infrared communications (Fast InfraRed). This is wireless but not the one you were looking for.

The attached pdf is a data sheet for that model laptop. To get IEEE 802.11 type wireless (Ethernet LAN Networking type), you'll have to purchase a wireless PCMCIA (PC Card). There are lots of choices for wireless cards and you probably have a favorite already or at least a manufacturer whose equipment your most comfortable with. The data sheet will help you in the selection of a wireless card too. Most new wireless cards work most bus systems of latops but the pdf contains the bus architecture specification which will help you in your purchase. i could only recommend a card that supports a/b/g or at least b/g.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 01:07:48 AM by Puppet » Logged

The grass may not be greener on the other side . . . but it just might have less weeds. Cheesy

Remote Support Software -::- Remote Desktop Support Software -::- PC Remote Support Software
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: