MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: My Major Misery
March 31, 2020, 09:31:19 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 09:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Major Misery  (Read 1694 times)
Ryu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2006, 01:19:08 AM »

Hi,
   I've bought this pc 2 years ago.
   Processor     - p4 2.66 Ghz ( Not an HT )
   Motherboard   - asus p4sgx-mx
   graphics card - geforce xfx 5200
   Ram         - 256 Mb ddr
   Hard disk     - 2 x 80 Gb ( Samsung )

I've three problems. All are hardware related ( maybe ). I've some guesses what are causing them.

I've formated, formated and reformated. I've just downloaded all the drivers( except hard disk 
        disks. Are there any? )

1. This problem is recurring. Whenever I try to play a pc game, my computer would crash. Nothing 
        else would make it crash. I've left it on for 2 to 3 days continuosly. I can play some emulator                                   
        games like nintendo, super nintedo, sega and playstation sega but that's it. Even low specs games 
        like cue club, unreal tournament 2002, deus ex would make it crash. Maximum it has run while
        playing a game was 30 to 45 minutes. No conflicts are shown in the device manager.

Sometime it would show a blue screen, sometimes not. The problem it states are
     Driver irql not less or equal
      irql not less or equal

At the bottom of the page these sys files and some details are shown
     nv4_disp.dll    ( Graphics card driver related file )
     smwdm.sys   ( Soundcard driver )
     usbport.sys   ( The name might not be right but I suppose it points to the usb port. The usb
        ports which are used, connect the ups, My Internet connection and a usb controller for playing
        games. This is the newest error which has broken the camel's back.)

I've downloaded and installed every driver update, I've changed every component of my pc (
        Motherboard, graphics card and hard disks ) while in warranty period. I've even updated my bios   
        once ( One that has been replaced. It didn't work either ).  I am writing this sos now as I can't     
        replace any of my components anymore since my warranty is void and I am stuck without any
        hope.

What maybe the cause of these crashes? Can it be my smps? I don't think that has been replaced
        yet. And I don't know its power rating.

2. My sound card is acting strange. It has two variations.
      1. I use winamp. It would be playing songs and suddenly it would just stop. Playing next song,
           seeking in the same file or using sound control won't help. Only reboot will help. The visualization
           in the winamp window will stop.

2. Whenever I try to play a mpg, mpg2 or m2v file, video can be viewed but there won't be any
           sound. If I run winamp, I can see the visualization in its window playing. If I run winamp, pause   
           the song and play the video then only I would have the sound.

3. My one hard disk would stop working all of a sudden. The os is on the other disk. I can hear a
        tick tick sound. It would start working again if I just remove and plug its power connector. First
        time when it happened, I freaked and thought that my hard disk has crashed. So I bought 
        another one. It took me 2 days to buy the new one. When I went to connect it to system, first
        hard disk was working again.

It has caused, so far, two accidents. First time, the whole os was wiped out. I was using the os,
        hard disk stopped working, I replugged the connector and system won't boot. When I inserted
        the winxp pro cd, the partition which has had the os, showed it as an unknown format ( or 
        whatever, I can't remember ).

Second time it happened the same way. Except this time, it just wiped my personal settings from
        the os. Winxp said the data was corrupted and created a temp account for me. I created another
        administrator account and logged back. Half of the programs showing previously were not available
        now. In fact, it was worse then last time. A fresh install would wipe all the bad programs and 
        settings which make it slow, from the system. I lost my programs and the os was slow as before.
        Just one consolation, I had fewer programs to install.

I was searching on google and it led me this forum. I read another persons woes who had the
        same mobo. Some user asked him to use the belarc software to examine the system. I've used 
        that software and uploaded the results here.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12060053/My_Misery_Machine.zip.html

Please help me. I can't replace my system's components anymore. It was supposed to be a
        gaming rig but it is just worthless if it can't even play songs! I need some solution to this misery.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 02:24:24 AM »

256MB RAM isn't the greatest you can use for any sort of work on a machine running WinXP.

For issue number one, here's a good explanation how to deal with Driver irql not less or equal. Apparently it's a massive conflict with USB peripherals, but the link will explain it better.

For the graphics driver problem, I'd go to the nVidia website and get a few driver versions, specifically search for drivers that relate to your card. I presume one of the drivers in the 5x.xx range would be perfect for your machine.

I hope that Ageless will pop in here soon, since he's our guru in these matters Smiley
Good luck

Ryu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 03:35:48 PM »

What about 98 ? I tried it too. Ever heared of a game "little fighter"? When I played it in 98, it crashed.

256 mb ram should not be an issue. I've tried all of the tricks and tips to make windows faster like disabling services, using prefetch and everything. My system is not even slow, for that matter. It's just the damn crashing which is bothering me.

Unfortunately, the page you described, gave me a link to microsoft site

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp

and all I got is a "page not found" message. So I am still in dark about this driver irql issue.

An Anandtech link and another link landed me here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340/

Unfortunately it means I've to reformat my system as I don't know how to save my os using the xp cd. I am going to print the page and will follow the steps when I am formating my system next time.

I've these four drivers saved in my system the original driver which came with the card, 56.72, 66.93, 81.98 . All these drivers, at their time, supported 5200. Is their some way to search nvidia site for specific drivers? Whenever I go there, Just three dumb boxes and take your pick is available. It seems they don't care for specific drivers, just release them pack by pack for the whole series of cards.

Check this page. It clearly states that 81.98, the latest forceware, supports 5200.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/81.98_winxp_32_supported.html

Thanks to you, I've just downloaded 52.16, 53.03, 53.04, 56.64. That's all there is in 5x.xx. I'm going to try them one by one starting from 52.16 and gradually moving up. I will reply if anyone of them worked.

Thanks redaxe. I am hoping that this driver juggling may cure my system. I've my fingers crossed.

P.s - Any other link about driver irql will be much appreciated.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 06:13:26 PM »

This link might help you, I used the search term directly in their search function and it gave a bit of info.

wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 07:07:26 PM »

in my experience I have two computers,one a year old with 1gb ddr memory and the other 3 yrs old with 512 mb ddr memory I have the same games on each computer,games have crashed with the 512mb but never on the 1gb puter.both using win xp by the way and same video cards nvidia fx 5700

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 08:29:59 PM »

I've updated the link in the FAQ database. It now points to the correct link for WinXP.

But here's the gist of it:

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

I was already feeling: HDD stops? PCI/AGP cards stop? That's either a broken motherboard or corrupt motherboard drivers. So play around with the mobo drivers first. If that doesn't fix it, it's a bad motherboard.

Direct link to P4SGX-MX drivers and BIOS options. Mind, use IE for better and quicker loading.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 08:39:16 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Ryu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 07:34:42 AM »

I downloaded the bios for p4sgx-mx and followed the procedure. I was almost finished when the exe warned me that the bios type did not match.

I searched net for the tool which would recognize the motherboard serial. Everest did the job. It's P4S533 MX.

It seems that when I bought the computer, the box of motherboard was replaced with p4sgx mx box.

But I've always installed the mobo drivers from the cd which came with it ( Call me dumb, It has P4S533 written on it with bold letters). After the crashes I downloaded p4sgx mx drivers.

Now I am downloading the drivers for P4S533 MX. I would notify If it helps.

P.S

I've just encountered Two more problems. I was surfing and it crashed. When I rebooted it I got this error "Unmountable boot volume". When I tried to boot it with startup disc, It didn't work. I had to reformat. While formatting, I saw that the Os partition was totally empty and its file system showed unknown.

My computer is crashing very frequently now ( I'm not playing any pc games ). In such a crash, Death screen showed message related to atapi.sys which is a new sys file to me. It also contained this

Address - F9954931
Base - F994D000
Datestamp - 3B7D83E5

Seems I've got some new ( Crashing ) friend.

Is there some way which would ensure that the blue screen must appear when system crashes?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: