MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Computer slows down after couple of hours
March 28, 2020, 07:47:20 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2020, 07:47:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer slows down after couple of hours  (Read 1527 times)
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2006, 04:54:22 PM »

I'm using Windows ME.  I posted on the "General Computer" forum but maybe the topic is better suited here.   Huh?

My computer works fine when I turn it on.  Then after a few hours, the mouse doesn't respond as it should....like I have to struggle with it to get it to move to different areas of the screen.   The usual beep that you hear when you click on the volume control to increase/decrease, instead becomes a series of muted beeps that fade away like an echo.  Opening or closing different programs is very difficult....sticky...is about the only way I know how to describe it.   Cry

I have degragged, upgraded, scanned for viruses...the whole bit, and also I still have lots of memory left.   Smiley

When my computer gets into the above mode....very annoying, I can fix it by restarting it.  Then it works fine for another few hours.

Has anyone got any idea in the world what the problem could be...what is causing this.  It only started about a month ago.  I have no idea where to begin because I have never had such a problem before.

Thanks!

gere

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »

This is most likely caused by badly exiting programs - or software running in the background.
look here for instructions on how to clean up your startup axis, preventing unnecessary programs loading
(enter any item in the startup list in MSCONFIG into the search box on the page, and click Search)
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

for detailed instructions - look here
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

such problems are often caused by spyware - download Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com, install, update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from your system.

come back and let us know what you find, and we may be able to help further

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »

Another explanation is that Windows ME was never intended to run for a prolonged periods of time, not anymore than the rest of the Windows 9x versions. The reason for this immense slowdown is the bad implementation of releasing drivers from memory, when you've stopped using whatever program you were using last time around.

There isn't a whole lot you can do actually, but you could try to go to PandaActivescan for an online check of your system. You'll need to use IE for it though, since it needs those dreaded ActiveX controls to sweep through your system.

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 06:24:35 PM »

I've had ME running happily for weeks without a reboot - and I know many others who have, also.
It's not thing to do with memory usually, it's resources that run low, because apps don't exit as gracefully as they should do. ME has the best memory management of the Win9x line - and only one known memory leak (in ATMUNI.SYS). When ME runs out of steam, it's almost always the result of application problems (or PEBCAK Smiley).

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »

I had the same on Win98SE, but those OSes were never intended for this sort of usage. It wasn't until the NT based systems became the norm when you could safely run your system for weeks on end without the need for rebooting.

I know it was possible with ME, but that doesn't make it a good idea, especially if the user isn't as savvy as either of us Wink

Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 06:03:38 PM »

Thanks for all your advice.   Lips Sealed  I just ran the Panda scan and was shocked to get their report that I have 102 Spyware and 3 Hacking Tools on my system.  Shocked     I have no idea what to do next, to get rid of this stuff!   Huh?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.   Grin

gere

Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 07:45:59 PM »

Me again.  I frequently  run Ad-Aware SE Personal edition and also Spybot.  I thought that these programs got rid of Spyware, so I can't understand the Panda scan telling me that I have 102 items of Spyware.  And the Hacking Tools thing....3 items....now I'm very worried!

I just don't know what I should do next!  Huh?   Cry

gere

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 08:08:06 PM »

In that case, I can lead you towards the best place to have it solved.

Go to Security and Viruses and read the HowTo thread so you can take the best steps to create a Hijack This log.

Then create a new topic in the Security and Viruses forum and Pancake or Geekgirl will help you clear up your system. Just remember that you'll have to be patient, since the poor people in there are horribly overworked. But they enjoy helping and you'll probably be sorted in a couple of days at the latest.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: