MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Page File(Virtual Memory) vs ADD/REMOVE Programs Query - Pls Help
March 31, 2020, 10:14:28 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 10:14:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Page File(Virtual Memory) vs ADD/REMOVE Programs Query - Pls Help  (Read 1032 times)
corolla315

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2006, 08:59:21 PM »

Hello everybody,

Yesterday, after I did a system restore, I got a warning message saying "NO PAGING FILE OR PAGING FILE TOO SMALL." The same XP warning box which popped out on the screen recommended that a set of steps must be followed so that the problem will be fixed. As instructed, I followed these recommended steps. The steps were the following:

- CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > ADVANCED Tab

- Click SETTINGS under PERFORMANCE  > ADVANCED Tab

- CHANGE > CUSTOMISE TAB

As I had (and still don't have) an idea what was the problem, when I checked the customize tab for Drive C:, I kept the numbers which appeared in the Initial Size & Maximum Size fields by default; namely 768MB and 1536MB respectively. Also, under the heading TOTAL PAGING FILE SIZE FOR ALL DRIVES,  the MINIMUM ALLOWED field read 2MB, RECOMMENDED 766MB and the CURRENTLY ALLOCATED 768MB.

Currently all the settings are still as described above.

What really annoyed me is that when today I went to the ADD/REMOVE programs, I noticed that the MAJORITY (I think more than 90%) of my programs were not in the ADD/REMOVE Programs list whilst they still can be found in the Program Files Folder Huh?!! Considering all the above, does the Virtual Memory problem I had might have been the main cause for the majority of the programs not to be shown in the ADD/REMOVE programs list? Also, does the customised size settings I mentioned for the Page File are good or there are better size settings for the system to run smoother?Finally what do you suggest to do to tackle both the the Virtual Memory problem and the ADD/REMOVE problem?

Please note that my system is made up of an Intel P4 2.66GHZ 512MB RAM windows XP Service Pack2 120GB Hard Disk of which 403MB are FREE.

I thank you in advance for your time and support.

Best Regards,

Corolla

pinter

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 10:40:19 AM »

You can check out this link on Virtual Memory- it would be better to let XP manage VM sizes.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
Also you seem to have very little free space on the HDD, Virtual memory is a part of the HDD, also sometimes called the swap file. You need to run a disk cleanup and defragment the drive regularly. But in order to defrag you need to have atleast 15% free space.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 02:12:55 PM »

Please note that my system is made up of an Intel P4 2.66GHZ 512MB RAM windows XP Service Pack2 120GB Hard Disk of which 403MB are FREE.
This is exactly the problem you're facing. You need to free up a lot of space on your harddrive because it's getting too cramped with stuff.

I recommend getting a handy tool called CleanUp! to empty your Temporary internet files folders and your Temp folders.

I also recommend getting rid of defunct files and folders that you have on your harddrive.
If you don't feel like throwing any of them away, I recommend getting a new harddrive where you store the important stuff, but leave the current drive with a few GB free, in order to avoid those constant problems.

The sooner you address this storage problem, the sooner you'll be rid of those annoying messages from Windows. And another thing, it's never wise to let Windows control the size of your pagefile. It's too dumb, by default, to do that properly.

corolla315

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:48:35 PM »

Hi guys,

Thanks first of all for your time and help. I read the Virtual Memory link which you gave me Pinter and I can say it was quite interesting. Thanks for this concise information on virtual memory.

As regards the post by Redaxe...you were 100% correct! I freed a lot of space from my hard disk and now I've got more than 60GB free space. My PC is responding much faster and the problem I had with the Virtual memory is gone (touch wood!!).

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Best Regards,

Corolla

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 12:20:43 AM »

I'm glad that you managed to clear this up mate.
As long as you keep around 2GB free on your hdd then you'll be in a decent enough shape.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: