MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Windows XP Pro, slow start up
July 08, 2020, 07:59:08 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2020, 07:59:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows XP Pro, slow start up  (Read 1003 times)
lebowski

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2006, 06:53:41 AM »

Hello -

Been a while since I posted here, hoping for a little help...I'll try to provide as much detail as possible.

Problem:  Everytime I boot my computer, Windows hangs at the start up screen - The blue screen, where it has Windows XP about where you'd see login accounts; below that is the phrase: "Windows is starting up".  From here, the program hangs for exactly 1 min. 20 seconds, then starts up...and everything seems to operate just fine.

Origin of the problem:  Stupid me, I tried to download SP2 for my computer...again.  I had some problems with it recycling thru the boot sequence a year or so ago when I initally tried to install SP2, but I was able to boot in safe mode and remove it successfully back then.  So, why did I try to download it again?  Well, I had just bought a new Motherboard and CPU and just wanted to give it a try...same thing occurred - the OS kept cycling thru the startup/boot sequence.  (btw, my computer ran fine for the few days after installing the new hardware, before the sp2 download).

So, again, tried to start up in safe mode.  This time, however, when my computer tried to start, it rebooted, just like it did a year ago.  So, I hit F8, and tried to start up from "Last Known Good Config."  It was at this point, my machine would hang on that "Windows is starting up" screen - it did not initially hang for the 1 min. 20sec time frame...at times it would hang there for 3+ minutes, and occasionally it would ask me which account I'd like to use.

Well, I never quite got in on safe mode the initial time, so I ultimately changed bios to boot from the CD and repaired Windows from there.  The "Windows is starting up" screen hang time varied after that until I finished reinstalling all the security and hotfixes...One other thing, during the repair, Windows would not recognize audio device, so I just bypassed that and uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers once the desktop loaded.

After going thru all this, I noticed a few things:  1) I was on SP1, 2) one KB windows update would not load via the normal update route - had to install manually, 3) I had the Security Center and Windows Firewall on my machine - this lead me to believe that I still had some SP2 components still on the machine.  So, not knowing what to do, I installed SP2 again...hoping that if I could boot up in safe mode, I could successfully uninstall all of SP2's components.  Well, I got into safe mode, but it would cut off on the last part of the first uninstall screen - (sorry, can't remember the exact name) - and tell me it could not uninstall SP2...so I repeated the repair CD and install of hotfixes/sec. updates...again.  What fun!!! Roll Eyes

Anyways, I'm back to where I was before...that 1:20 hanging on the startup.  Other than that hanging time, everything seems fine...the Windows Firewall and Security Center are still there - oh, btw, the Firewall tells me:  "due to an unidentified problem, windows cannot display the windows firewall settings"  when I try to open it.

Other things tried:  Ran all my virus and spyware scans - NAV, Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware, SB S&D, CWS, and HJT...everything is fine.  Also checked the event log for errors - no errors seem to be showing at the time of the hanging; of course, I'm not an expert here.

So basically.........HELP!!!

No really, any thoughts or ideas on:

1) fixing the slow startup, and
2) uninstalling any other SP2 components w/o going about it the hard way. Wink

Thanks for reading, and I greatly appreciate the time and any responses.   Thanks!

Update...I error'd.  Here are some system failures on startup

-The SSDP Discovery Service service depends on the HTTP service which failed to start because of the following error: The specified procedure could not be found.

-The HTTP service failed to start due to the following error: The specified procedure could not be found.

-The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: FltMgr

-The Security Center service failed to start due to the following error: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

-The DCOM Server Process Launcher service hung on starting.

I'll have to research these when I have more time (off to work), any assistance would still be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 02:22:05 PM by lebowski » Logged

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:38:23 PM »

How did you go about changing the hardware, i.e. motherboard and CPU?
Did you just whack them into the case and hook up all the necessary hardware, without reinstalling Windows, or did you make a fresh installation of Windows after hooking up the hardware?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: