MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Full System Restore with backup
July 09, 2020, 03:30:57 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 09, 2020, 03:30:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Full System Restore with backup  (Read 1286 times)
Ronald

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006, 04:09:40 PM »

I have some corrupt files. Have tried everything in the book to repair. Nothing seems to work. Got a hold of Gateway and there response was to do a Full System Restore with backup. So I'll do that.
I have tried Restore to earlier dates number of times. I have done System Recovery stops and say files corrupt can't repair. I have done Go back to Good Known Configuration a couple of times.. None of these programs seem to do any good.
Is there anything I can try...Any Ideas are welcome...

My question is this:: I use a wireless mouse,will I need to put the old corded one back in.
I have also put another keyboard on, a better one with some gadgets on it. Like one click and your there on the program...
Now the mouse and keyboard are Microsoft products.
I know when I restore I'm going to lose everything,and I will be needing the mouse and keyboard to finish the job.

Heres what I have::
Gateway 830GM Media Edition
Windows XP Home
Intel Pent.4
200 GB Sata HD
1024 MB DDR
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 01:13:58 AM »

Hi,

I would boot to a Windows XP Recovery Console and run CHKDSK /f to see if there are any bad sectors. If there are, they will be marked as bad and chkdsk will try to move the data. Then you may need to replace the corrupted files (if the error message tell you which files are corrupted) or re-install Windows.

Worst case, try the Gateway system recovery....

You should be able to use your keyboard during the restore but may require to re-install the keyboard software for the special buttons. If you don't have a copy of this software, go to Microsoft's download section to get it..... I would use the old mouse for the restore or re-install and once Windows is up and running, setup the wireless mouse.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: