MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: 2 PNP Bios Issues (Win 98 SE)
June 03, 2020, 07:36:02 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2020, 07:36:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 PNP Bios Issues (Win 98 SE)  (Read 1169 times)
versioncity

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2006, 02:25:35 AM »

I run Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A on an HP Vectra VL.
384MB Ram and a 3GB Quantum Fireball HD.

My computer has been lagging behind lately and I booted it up this morning and it kept
reloading windows over and over.  I panicked because the last time I had this issue, both
my hard drive & motherboard were fried (I will never buy an IBM again...)

I finally got it into safe mode where I checked for Trojans, Viruses, Adware & Spyware.  I didn't find anything.  I proceeded to run ScanDisk to check C: for errors and it kept restarting over 30 times.  Finally the scan completed and I was told there were no errors.  I went into the help section and checked under "booting" and used the Automatic Skip Driver.  It told me I have 2 PNP Bios Issues:

Read Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD)
Reference: 42 00 00 00 90 03 E8 02 F0 00 00 00

Get Statically Allocated Resource Information
Reference: 0A 00 00 00 10 03 F0 00

I was told to contact my computer manufacturer.  This computer is from 1997 so there is no point of that!  I went into setup and discovered that it said that my OS was not a PNP OS.  I changed that.

I then loaded Windows and I'm running it right now on 640x480 with 16 colors, afraid of shutting it down.  What do you reckon is going on with this system?

I find that it freezes a lot - 3 different warnings.  I get the grey boxes & the white boxes (with the close & ignore options).  I can never choose ignore.  Sometimes if I choose "close", the computer will stall and even CTRL-ALT-DEL can't help it.    And I get the blue screen of death quite often.  Sometimes the screen will stall and I will get weird green lines at the top of the screen.  I find that most of the time, this computer isn't horrible but Firefox loves to quit on me.  Help!

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 01:02:20 AM »

How long has it been since the ystem was reformated? Over time, files become corrupt whether it be from viruses, spyware or adding removing programs. Lets try some things to see if we can get a handle on it.

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow   ( sfc for 98 and if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

As for your resolution, you may have lost your video drivers. Right click on the Desktop and click Properties. Click the settings tab and tell me what options you have under the drop down for the Colors. If you can change to anything higher than 2 or 16 bit try to change it back. Most systems use True color32 depending on their video.

Do you know if it has onboard video or an adapter card? Do you have the drivers for the adapter or the motherboard drivers?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 11:45:47 PM »

I ran the SFC and I found one corrupt file:

c:/windows/system/setupx.dll

I bought this computer for $25 off my old neighbour but I can get the Windows CD from him soon so that's a good thing.

The computer is back to its 24bit 800x600 setting and is fine.  My display adapter is:
Cirrus Logic 546x ISPCorp (c) v2.00

So is the setup file the thing that is causing things to quit frequently?  I did have a lot of adware & spyware so that explains it.  I did run Spybot S&D before.  It said I didnt have anything yet I saw "keystroke logger", "xxx", "free web ads" and a bunch of other stuff going by.  It tried to scan it before starting windows but always shut down.  Shall I post a Hijack This log in here or in the spyware forum?

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:46:57 PM »

Why dont you post a HijackThis Log in the Security Forum, I havea feeling you have more going on in your system.

Download and install:  HiJackThis.

(Always create a Folder for HiJackThis anywhere but your Temp/Temporary Internet Folders or Desktop. A good place to make a folder would be in My Documents, as this is where it will save the backup files needed if there's a problem.)

Then doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Do A System Scan And Save Log". Make sure all Windows and Browsers are closed.
When the scan is finished, best to save your text file in the same folder as where you put HiJackthis.

Create a New Topic in Security & Viruses Forum and Copy/Paste the info from your saved Hijackthis log file into your new topic.
A Moderator/ Security Team Analyst will give you instructions.

***DO NOT TRY TO FIX ANYTHING, MAJOR DAMAGE CAN BE DONE TO YOUR SYSTEM IF THIS TOOL IS USED INCORRECTLY, PLEASE WAIT FOR AN ANALYST/MODERATOR TO GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS***

Always describe your problem and any programs you have used to try to resolve your issue. Your description can go a long way to solving/repairing your particular issue.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: