MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Help needed for home networking
June 07, 2020, 02:29:17 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2020, 02:29:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help needed for home networking  (Read 1527 times)
mshani

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2006, 01:03:04 AM »

Help please.

I have two computers running windows XP SP 2 connected to a D-Link DI-624 router which connects to the internet via DSL.

Both computers (call them LIVINGROOM and FAMILYROOM) both connect to the internet OK. But I am not able to set up a network between them. I tried running Windows Network Wizard on both machines, but it does nothing. On LIVINGROOM, Microsoft Windows Network shows my home network, MSHOME, shows up but trying to open it says "Mshome is not accessible. You may not have permission ....". On FAMILYROOM, MSHOME does show two computers, FAMILYROOM and LIVINGROOM, but then opening LIVINGROOM brings the message box "\\Livingroom is not accessible. You may not have permission ...."

I tried some lower-level stuff. LIVINGROOM can ping FAMILYROOM, but not the other way around. I ran with Ethereal on both computers. Ping from FAMILYROOM show ARP frames for "Who has (ip for LIVINGROOM) and a response from LIVINGROOM, then four ICMP Echo Requests with no reply. Ethereal on LIVINGROOM shows the same ARP frames, but no ICMP frames.

To remove one uncertainty factor, I connected the two computers directly to each other, using a crossover connector. They got new IP addresses (169.254.xxx.xxx instead of the 192.168.0.xxx when with the router), but same situation, same Ethereal picture. LIVINGROOM can ping FAMILYROOM but not vice versa.

I am not very knowledgeable about windows networking, so my apologies if I haven't attached some information you might need.

Meir Shani
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 01:35:32 AM »

I don't know if my suggestion will work, but it's worth a try while setting up the network.

Unplug the router from the phoneline and then disable the XP SP2 firewall on both computers.

Now right click the folders that you want to share on the network and click the Sharing (and Security) option. Then choose to manually set up the sharing, because the wizard is usually too poor to do this properly (if memory serves me right, then you need to tell XP that you want to share the folder, regardless of it's default settings).

Now create a new user on each machine. The user should be identical to the one that's the main user on the other machine. Same username and same password.

Now re-enable the XP SP2 firewall, reconnect the phoneline and see if you can let the computers communicate with each other. Then let us know about the results here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:08:44 AM by redaxe » Logged

mshani

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:22:38 AM »

Thank you, Redaxe. Unfortunately, I only have time to futz with this over the weekend, so it will have to wait.

I'll let the world know how it went, but regardless of the result, thank you for making the effort.
strider(ctx)

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 05:29:43 AM »

It would be nice to setup a raw network using windows built in tools, but you can always try progs out there, Gateways, VPN clients/server.
Puppet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 04:14:31 AM »

The steps posted by redaxe will cure most of these XP to XP file sharing problems.
If the steps posted don't do it, there is one more item to check. Bring up a windows explorer window and on the menu click Tools >> folder options >> View tab. Then scroll to the bottom of the advanced settings and uncheck use simple file sharing.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:36:39 PM by Puppet » Logged

The grass may not be greener on the other side . . . but it just might have less weeds. Cheesy

Remote Support Software -::- Remote Desktop Support Software -::- PC Remote Support Software
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: