MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: low level format!!!
June 06, 2020, 04:58:37 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 04:58:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: low level format!!!  (Read 1427 times)
rex

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2006, 05:57:37 AM »

hi hello its been a long time...
   anybody help please...
    where can i find some tools or utilities in working a low level format for a floppy disk..?
   help please...

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:10:29 AM »

It's almost never necessary to do a low-level format - and usually a pointless excercise in modern HD's. Why do you think you need to?

Use the HD Utlilities from the manufacturer's website to check the drive over - it may not even be worth attempting the format.

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 03:40:06 PM »

A low level format can be peformed with Linux boot disks, but that of course makes me ask you why on earth you think you need a low level format in the first place?

Basically here's what you need to do before performing the low level format.

Download a Win98 bootdisk from Bootdisk.com
Extract the image to a floppy disk and then boot from said floppy.

When you get to the DOS prompt that says A:\> you need to type in FDISK and then you hit your ENTER or Return key (depending on markings)

Find the option in the FDISK utility that allows you to remove partitions (usually it's 4 or 5).
Remove all partitions that FDISK reports upon, even the ones with an unknown file system. Make sure you're working on the drive you want to format.

When that's done, return to DOS and give the command FORMAT C: (or whatever drive you're formatting)
That should ensure that you have a drive that's ready for a low level format in Linux or whatever tools you desire to use.

Read this article, before you attempt a low level format.

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »

Redaxe
That is NOT a low-level format - that is a normal DOS-level format!!
A low-level format can onl;y be done with tools provided by the HD manufacturer.

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 03:55:20 PM »

I know, but this is the best prior work he can do before doing a low level format. If only to make sure that he's gotten rid of NTFS ownership as registered by any of the NT based OSes. Linux won't allow you do that until ownership has been dealt with.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 04:05:26 PM »

And of course I said that he'd be best off doing that BEFORE trying the LLF. Though it looks like you missed that bit in my original reply.

Damn editing script seems to be buggered, so I can't highlight or edit my post to show the thing I'm trying to emphasise. Bloody annoying.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: