MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Registry cleaner
June 07, 2020, 03:59:20 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2020, 03:59:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Registry cleaner  (Read 1081 times)
justme

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2006, 02:44:50 AM »

Good day.  Not sure if this is where to ask this.  I ran Registry Booster's free scan.  It said I had 149 invalid registry entries that should be fixed.  The free scan would fix 15 problems.  First question is should I clean my registry?  Second, why?  Third, is there a free one some where?  Fourth, should I then defrag my registry?  Fifth,  any thing else I should do?
All of your great wisdom is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:27:20 AM »

1) Only if you actually have problems!
2) Registry cleaners often cause more problems than they solve
3) Lots of free ones - and most are better than the one you seem to have picked Smiley
4) Learn a little about the registry - and clean it manually

Although you can use the cleaners to assist - they should only be used as pointers to possible action.
No registry cleaner knows about all programs - only the general structure of the registry at tthe time of the cleaner's release.
No registry cleaner knows anything at all about how you want your PC to work - again, it only knows about how it's designer wants your PC to work - which may conflict with your wishes, or the needs of one of your programs.

HTH

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
justme

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 01:34:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply.
Any suggested reading as to learning about my registry and how to clean it manually.  The only reason I even came into this was my computer,win XP pro sp2,  should have been going to screen saver.  I noticed that the light in the mouse was occasionally flashing.  Sort of like a ghost was using my computer.  I brought up the windows task manager to see what was going on.  There was something called CIDAEMON.EXE running.  I ended it, then did a web search on it.  The web search brought me to the registry cleaner.  I don't no if not going to screen saver was really a problem.    For the most part things are good.  I run Ad aware, Spy Bot, Disk cleanup and sometimes Defrag the whole thing.   
Any other maintenance tips to keep things running good or better would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 03:14:32 PM »

"cidaemon.exe is an indexing service which catalogues files on your computer to enable for faster file searches." - http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/cidaemon/

If you don't want it to run, then you should use the program's options to prevent it. - it's not anywhere on my system, also see here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899869

Indexing is of little real benefit ot most home users - it's really intended for those with many thousands of documents

WRT reading matter on the registry, I have to admit that I don't really know of a good, reliable source! -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
is probably a good start in the mechanics of it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
goes into some depth - and you should then be able to formulate some more knowledgeable searches for your own edificatio after that.

HTH

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »

A good registry cleaner that I use occasionally, is the one called Registry Mechanic. It's fairly easy to use and most of the features are free to use. You won't be needing the more advanced features anyway.

But before you clean anything, make sure you read what the program wants to clean, because you may not agree with it on some things. If you feel that the program is mistaken, then do a search on the web about the entry.

In any case, good luck

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: