MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Compatibility problems?
July 21, 2019, 08:10:47 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 21, 2019, 08:10:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Compatibility problems?  (Read 1821 times)
ntrlbrnthrila

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2003, 04:09:16 AM »

Operating System Version: Windows XP Professional
Problem Hardware Make & Model: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and PCChips M920 Motherboard

For some reason I can't seem to get my new video card to work. The motherboard is only a few months old and the AGP speed is 1x/2x/4x and should be compatible with the Radeon, but whenever I try to install it, the system doesn't even seem to detect the video card; no change takes place on the monitor. I upgraded my power supply and still the problem persists, even when testing with all the other non-essential pieces removed. The motherboard works with PCI and other AGP video cards and the video card worked extremely well in another machine when tested. ATI's and PCChips's websites both offer subpar tech support. Could it be that the parts just arent compatible? I built this computer myself, and it's my first, so I don't know if the motherboard is configured correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 02:38:16 PM »

Hi,

Install another video card (PCI if available) and go into the BIOS (<DEL> key on most systems during power up). Set the "Primary Display Adapter" to "AGP in the "PCI / Plug and Play Setup Page". Also set the "AGP Mode" settings to "4X" and the "AGP Comp. Driving" to "Auto" on the "Advanced Setup Page". Save and exit, power down and remove the PCI adapter and use the Radeon card to see if you 'see' anything.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
ntrlbrnthrila

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 01:42:38 AM »

I double-checked all these settings and they're set at the given values... no dice though.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 01:32:40 PM »

Hi,

I would contact PCChips to find out if there are known problems with this motherboard and the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/service/techform.asp

Maybe they have a new BIOS update that resolves this issue.

Let us know what they say.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
ntrlbrnthrila

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 01:20:53 AM »

Tried emailing PCChips again. They don't answer emails, apparently. I really don't know what to do next... I'd rather not shell out another couple hundred on a motherboard when this one is pretty much brand new and works fine other than the AGP/Compatibility problems. Any suggestions?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 01:14:44 PM »

Hi,

I would try to update the BIOS
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/bios/bios.asp?module_id=2,3#

Check out "How to update BIOS?" link at the top of the page.

Use the latest BIOS update for the M920, version 1.3
http://ftp://ftp.pcchips.com.tw/bios-n/m920/020627s.zip

Sylvain Amyot

DLayton

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:50:17 PM »

Hi, I know this is a dead thread but i have input if you do not already have an answer to it.  I also need to ask another question about this motherboard.

Firstly, i had same problem with a radeon pro 9700....I tried emailing them and got no response so i actually braved the automated phone service and continual redirections to get to talk to a service rep who at best had minimal english skills.  What i did manage to make out was that the video card was not compatible with the chipset the motherboard was using.  I havent flashed my bois yet to test if it will allow it to work but from what i gathered from tech support, this motherboard bios revision would not have an affect on this problem.  I eventually bought 2 more video cards in an attempt to get one that would work.  

As for my problem.  I cant seem to get the Motherboard to recognise the full amount of my ram module.  I am assuming this means it might have a cap on the size module that can be in each slot.  I cant verify this as the manual only says that there is a maximum of 1GB support overall.  Any suggestions if there is something else i dont know about that might be causing the problem or should i just bite the bullet and try the flashing the bios route?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: