MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: dual boot
September 15, 2019, 10:29:00 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2019, 10:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dual boot  (Read 1073 times)
CrazyJo82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2006, 01:26:04 AM »

Hi... I'm wondering if anyone could help me with this...

Is it possible to dual boot 2 OS on 2 harddrive? I have a 20gig HD running WinXP and I have an older 6.4gig HD running Win98SE. Is there an easy solution for dual booting both? Can I make the 20gig hd the master and the 6.4gig as slave and just dual boot? Or do I need another program that will give me an option when I turn on the computer to pick the OS I want to use?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 10:54:30 PM »

How did you install the first OS and then following that, how did you install the second one?

To get the dual boot to work, you need to do the following. Make the Win98SE harddrive as the master and then install the 20GB drive as a slave. Insert your WinXP CD into the cd drive of your computer while logged into Win98 and run the XP installation from there. It will detect your Win98 and ask what to do next.

You tell it to install the second OS on your 20GB drive and the XP installation will create the dual boot during that installation.

Remember it's got to be done this way around or you won't get it to work at all.

CrazyJo82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 11:01:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

So, I would have to reinstall window which is what I didn't want to do. The win98 was installed years ago... and then I took it out and bought a 20gig and installed xp there. I kept the 98 HD in a box and didn't think I needed to use it until now. So, I have to reinstall xp to get the dual boot to work, is there anyway around that?

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 11:07:02 PM »

You might be able to create a dual bootorder command in your boot.ini file, but unfortunately I don't know exactly how to go about that.

Maybe you could search for a method on the wide world of interweb Smiley

The method I mentioned above is the only one I know that will definitely work. Though you could of course get your hands on a Linux bootloader and just not have any Linux versions available.

Maybe you could search good old Google for bootloaders for windows Smiley

CrazyJo82

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:35:15 AM »

I did read something about the boot.ini file... I will look into that again. Thanks for your help Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: