MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CD Drive Problems
October 18, 2019, 11:33:53 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2019, 11:33:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD Drive Problems  (Read 1672 times)
mrtubs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:05:13 PM »

Hi
I have two CD drives on my system. One can read DVD's and both read and write to CD's, and the other can only read CD's.
When I go into "my computer" you can see both these drives there. However, if I put a disk into either, the drive fails to read the CD and the drive disappears from "my computer". The only way to get it back is to restart the pc, but it goes again as soon as you insert a disk.
As this is happening on both disk drives I'm assuming it's not a faulty drive or a lose wire etc
This problem has only started happening, everything was fine before

Any ideas?

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 11:47:19 AM »

Go into Control Panel -> System and go to the Hardware tab

From there go into the Device manager and see if any yellow exclamation marks appear, report back with what you find there.

Additionally, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer and check if there are any faults reported there and report them as well, if you come across them. Especially the ones that show you a white cross on a red background.

Good luck

mrtubs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:26:56 AM »

Thanks Redaxe

The device manager shows no problems.

There are lots of problems shown on the event viewer in both the application. security and system tags.  I don't realy now what they mean but would suggest that the most significant, and frequent one is the one that says "CD ROM drive disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal".  This has happened as previously reported when I have tried to use the drive, I have never deliberately tried to remove them.

Ian

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 06:47:23 PM »

Can you look up the Event ID for me. That might help us determine the root of the problem. Try to find as many Event IDs as possible, so we can research this better. Double click each event and you'll see the relevant info.

mrtubs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 10:38:46 PM »

In the case of the CD ROM disappearing, the event ID is always 12. As you can see from the attachment there are several other events.
Ian

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 01:21:22 AM »

Have you tried doing a repair install of Windows? It's something you do from the XP CD.

See if that helps matters and then report back.

mrtubs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 09:40:36 AM »

Unfortunately I can't do that as the CD drives don't work. I got so frustated I took my pc to my local repair shop. They had a disk that looked at the hardware without using windows and told me that the combi drive was no good at all whereas the cd drive was on the way out.  Thanks for your help though.
Ian

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that your drives have decided to head to hardware heaven.

At least they didn't take the rest of your hardware with them, so that's the only consolation I can offer I'm afraid Sad

whosdat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 12:54:37 PM »

what brand drives were they, out of curiousity?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:58:17 PM by whosdat » Logged

visiting mod
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: