MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Portable Devices arrow Topic: Dell Inspiron 5150 wont boot
September 15, 2019, 06:51:04 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2019, 06:51:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dell Inspiron 5150 wont boot  (Read 7939 times)
bbp

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2006, 10:39:55 PM »

Hello all, I'm new to forums and this is my first post here.  I already did a search and was unable to find any viable information.
So, heres the deal.  My girlfriend has a Dell laptop Inspiron 5150(the exact specs elude me at this moment) and it won't boot.  She was using it the other night and she said it was randomly freezing for a couple seconds.  She rebooted it and now it doesn't boot at all, won't even post.  When you turn it on, the LCD backlight comes on and you immediately get a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner.  No post, no nothing, just a flashing cursor within 2 seconds of turning it on.

I've toggled the power off on and several times, letting it sit with the power off over night.  I've given it a few gentle "love taps" to see if maybe something came lose or wiggled around.  I've become somewhat savvy with laptop disassembling over the years and took the thing apart.  I removed the RAM, harddrive, basically everything except the motherboard and CPU/CPU Fan, hoping there may be a visually obvious problem.  Nothing looked out of place or strange so I reassembled it and it still does the same thing.

One time since, I turned it on and it started to post but froze in the middle.  Ever since then It just turns on and gives me the same blinking cursor.

I haven't really had alot of time to look into the problem seeing as how I'm a full-time student and also work.  I just wanted to put this message out there to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks in advance!
-Peter
bbp

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 04:45:52 AM »

UPDATE:
  Well, I'm not sure to make of what just happened.  I had the idea to plug in the power supply and try to boot it up.   So, I plug it in, turn it on, and it boots up like normal.  It gets all the way into windows and is sitting at the desktop.  Then, it 
 suddenly rebooted by itself and went back to the flashing cursor in the top left hand corner.  I turned it off, turned it back on and still the same problem.  I let it sit for 15 minutes or so to charge it and tried it again but to no avail.  Its back to waht it was doing before.  So, I'm hoping this post will help narrow it down for someone.  I'm thinking power supply or motherboard but I'm not terribly experienced with troubleshooting/tracking down hardware problems.
Thanks again!
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:24:42 PM »

There seems to be issue with this particular make/model. Bad motherboards...so I read.

Dont use the laptop battery, plug it into the wall outlet.

If your using Windows XP place your windows cd in the cd rom and boot to it. You may need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS.

1. Boot off of a Windows XP CD. Press R to get to the recovery console.

2. Press 1 to log onto Windows then press Enter. You will need the administrative password to get into to command prompt. If the administrator password was blank press enter.

3. Type: chkdsk /r

4. When the disk check is done type: Exit

5. Take the Windows XP CD out. Windows should start normally.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: