MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Video driver issues?
October 18, 2019, 12:13:00 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2019, 12:13:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Video driver issues?  (Read 1282 times)
metalchild92797

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2006, 01:50:36 AM »

Hello, I was just given an older laptop, a CTX 800 series. It originally ran Windows 95 but my brother in law installed 98SE onto it and now it has a problem concerning the display settings. My brother says it needs an updated video driver which is no longer available through CTX. He wants me to uninstall 98 and go back to 95. What happens is this; when I try to adjust the display settings from 640x480 (16bit colors) to 800x600 (256 colors) the setting will revert back to 640x480 after closing the dialog box. The monitor says it is a 800x600 display but an icon near the clock sys 640x480. I have not found any hardware conflicts to speak of and other than the display the unit seems to work properly. Can someone give me some advice please?

The brainwashed do not know they are brainwashed.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:12:46 PM »

Any yellow question mark in Device Manager? Can you download and install this free program called Everest
 it will tell you  everything about your computer.  Post back your video specs

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:32:54 PM »

Thanks geekgirl. There are no yellow question marks in device manager. I have just d/l'ed Everest and when I can I'll post back the info you requested.

metalchild92797

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 01:38:28 AM »

Ok, Everest showed the following under Windows Video - NeoMagic Magicgraph 128XD, driver installed - nmgc.drv. Then under the header PCI/AGP Video - Neomagic NM2160 Magicgraph 128XD. The name under monitors is Laptop Display panel 800 x 600, resolution 640 x 480. Is that what you needed?

metalchild92797

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:19:06 AM »

Well, I was able to find a third party VGA driver for the NeoMagic and it appears to be fixed as I have now got true color and 800x600 resolution. Now the fun starts! Thanks!

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 07:25:29 PM »

Thats great news, glad you got it resolved

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: