MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Weird emails on Outlook Express 6
July 08, 2020, 03:42:38 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2020, 03:42:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weird emails on Outlook Express 6  (Read 1686 times)
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:21:56 AM »

All of a sudden...about a week ago...and never before...I have started receiving emails from people I never heard of.  They all have attachments. Embarrassed     One, for instance, was from Raphael Pritchard and the topic was "Childbearing Drunkenness" and another was from Rosalia Strickland entitled, "Hallway Niece".   Huh?

Of course I immediately delete these letters and any others similar.  My question is why I would suddenly be subject to such emails, when it never happened before....in all my many years of using my computer.  I do use a firewall and virus program.

Thanks.  Maybe some others are experiencing a similar problem.

gere

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 10:01:19 PM »

The reason may be that some of the people, who have your email address in their address book, have been infected with a virus, worm, trojan or some other form of mass mailing malware.

Of course using OE or Outlook makes this much more likely to happen, as they're very prone to infections. If you feel the most comfortable with either, then make a point of not allowing html, ActiveX scripts or any other sort of code to be executed by the program. Also disable the preview pane, as the malicious code can also be run there.

Finally, make a point of scanning all e-mails with your AV package, to minimise the risk of something getting through.

Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 11:55:34 PM »

Hello Redaxe:   Grin

Thanks for your reply.    Am I correct in feeling that you are suggesting that there is a better program to use for emails..other than OE or Outlook?    Huh?

Anyhow, I do keep my AVG scans all of my mail, so hopefully it will alleviate any problems.

Thanks again.  Much appreciated!

gere

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 12:25:06 AM »

If your speaking of using an email client for your ISP other than Outlook Express yes you can,  Micorsoft Outlook. I use Micorsoft Outlook and I also use MailWasher. I allows me to filter me emails from my ISP before d/l to my computer.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:03:02 PM »

Hello Redaxe:   Grin

Thanks for your reply.    Am I correct in feeling that you are suggesting that there is a better program to use for emails..other than OE or Outlook?    Huh?

Anyhow, I do keep my AVG scans all of my mail, so hopefully it will alleviate any problems.

Thanks again.  Much appreciated!

gere
My email client of choice is Eudora Pro, which isn't free of course, but they have a light version of the client that does most of the things that the Pro version does. Sort of like the difference between Outlook and OE.
Secondly, I'd recommend using Mozilla Thunderbird rather than either Outlook or OE. Mainly because it can't run ActiveX code and it's easy to handle as well. And of course you can have it look like your Outlook Express for the most part.

I have a serious gripe with both OE and Outlook, because the only time I've ever had my system infected with malware is when my brother decided to be clever and tried using them to retrieve his emails with both. Rest assured that he's not using either now, since he learned to work with T'bird and Firefox for his browsing habits Smiley

Good luck with your email battles.

joe765

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:45:46 PM »

I also have been thinking of not using outlook express. All of a sudden I am getting spammed like crazy. Is there any way with outlook to only allow mail from your address book to go into your inbox.? I have checked and cant seem to find anything on it.  I heard thunderbird was  a good alternative. Would that mail program be able to do this for me ?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: