MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Compaq Presario Upgrade
July 18, 2019, 01:05:01 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2019, 01:05:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Compaq Presario Upgrade  (Read 2365 times)
cloud

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2003, 07:57:20 PM »

Hi,  I'm looking to upgrade my Compaq Presario 5304 PC.  I've already looked up the RAM and CPU I want to buy (after checking compatibility) but I'm having problems finding the right Motherboard,  Hard drive,  sound and video cards.  
My questions are:

1)  Since a compaq rep told me to stick with an OEM Motherboard,  I've been looking all over for it,  where the heck can I find it??
Hre's the detailed info.
 Manufacturer ------------------- Compaq
Model (revision) --------------- 05C4h (1.2b)
Chipset (revision)-------------- SiS SiS530 (2)
Southbridge -------------------- SiS SiS961
BIOS Brand --------------------- Award Software
BIOS Version ------------------- 4.51 PG
BIOS Date ---------------------- 05/08/99
Display adapter Manufacturer --- SiS
Model (revision) --------------- SiS530/620 Graphics Controller (A2)

2)  What video and sound cards would be compatible for my PC???
Here are my pc details:
CPU INFORMATION
================
Number of CPU ------------------ 1
Manufacturer ------------------- CyrixInstead
Processor ---------------------- 6x86MX
Code Name ---------------------- M2
Package ------------------------ PGA-296
Family ------------------------- 6
Model -------------------------- 0
Stepping ----------------------- 1
Core Revision ------------------ ?
Technology --------------------- 0.35

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 08:06:23 PM »

Hi,

An OEM motherboard is a 'clone' type motherboard meaning not a proprietary name brand motherboard. These are the types found at most PC shops.

I am assuming Compaq told you this because the Presario 5304 has a standard ATX case. If this is the case, you can find parts at any computer store.

To be honest with you, you can buy a decent system cheaper than upgrading what you have because buying individual parts may be more expensive than buying a pre-built system and in the end the only piece you're not changing, doing the upgrade, is the case and maybe the floppy drive!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
cloud

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 08:12:45 PM »

Thanks Sylvian for ur quick response.  I would love to buy the New Dell Desktop PC and reconfigure it BUT it's not financially possible right now. :-(  I think my upgrades would come up to 500 which is not, what say? You haven't answered my questions on:
* What's the max CPU my system will allow?
* How do I find the right audio and video card for my system??
* What else can I upgrade? Please bear with me and answer my questions.  I'm really confused.
-Cloud

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: