MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Wireless Devices Problems arrow Topic: Linksys wireless adapter problem
December 13, 2019, 09:08:59 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2019, 09:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Linksys wireless adapter problem  (Read 4190 times)
Sandour

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2006, 07:27:52 PM »

Can someone please help me? I am going out of my mind trying to figure this out.  I have spent over 7 hours trying to do it on my own.

I have a compaq presario 1275 in really good condition.  It's old, but it gets the job done, and I am using it mostly for word processing and homework.

I got a Linksys Wireless-G card in order to access the wireless network at school between classes.  But for whatever reason, I can't get the drivers to install.  So I contacted Linksys and spent well over 4 hours online with them trying different drivers to get the card to work.  Turns out that Linksys adapters have an issue with laptops that have Texas Instrument controllers, so they tell me to contact Hp in order to have them help me disable the Texas Instrument controllers.

I contact Hp, and basically get no help and end off in worse shape than when I began.  They tell me to go to this site: http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_4in1_443v.zip, download the program and install it on my laptop.  Which I do, and right after it starts to install, but before it starts the installation wizard, I get a pop up message saying that there is a registry error and to reboot the computer.  So I click ok, and then immediately this message pops up:  _delis has caused an error in _ISDEL.EXE. _delis will now close.

So, I restart my laptop, and when it starts back up, my d drive is gone.  It no longer recognizes/sees that there is a D Drive (cd).  So then she has me go to start, then run, then type: scanreg /restore.  I then choose a date rfom two days ago and then it reboots and restores my d drive.

All I want to do, is install this stupid wireless card. Can anyone help me? Please?

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:04:21 PM »

What O.S. is installed on the laptop? Your wireless card should have a driver cd with it. You need to install the drivers first then you insert the card when asked. For what its worth you may try a different wireless card.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »

My card didn't come with a driver cd, I got it used, but it was working in another laptop when I got it.  I downloaded the drivers directly from Linksys and they sent me two other versions of the drivers when I was in the chat with them.

I am running ME on the laptop now.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 12:30:50 PM »

This link http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_4in1_443v.zip, that they had you install seems to be the 4-in-1 chipset drivers for the motherboard. Did they know what they were doing??

Please post the make/model of the wireless card your trying to install

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »

Geekgirl, not only don't I think they knew what they were doing, I don't think the tech knew her head from her butt. Angry

It's a Linksys Wireless-G Adapter WPC54G v.4.

I downloaded the following driver to try and get it to work: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115417109934&packedargs=sku%3D1130276681921&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Then the support tech at Linksys gave me two earlier versions to try, v.2 and the beta version for people with Texas Instruments Controllers.

I had no problem running the wizard and getting the driver program on to my laptop, but when I opened it up, and inserted the card, it wouldn't recognize the card was there, and when I went to Add hardware in the control menu area, it recognized the card was there, but couldn't/wouldn't see the drivers I had just installed for it.

Thank you for taking the time to help me, btw.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »

I think they may have been trying to install mobo drivers to patch the incompatability with the Texas Instrument controllers.

Is this the way you installed that driver for the Linksys Wireless-G Adapter WPC54G v.4. ?
Driver Upgrade Instructions:

1 Unzip the files to a directory (e.g. C:\Linksys).

2 Open Control Panel by clicking Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.

3 Click on System.

4 Click on the Hardware Tab (Device Manager Tab in Windows 98SE and Windows Millenium)

5 Click on Network Adapters and double click on Wireless-G Notebook Adapter

6 Click on the Drivers tab

7 Click on Update Driver

8 Select "Choose the device from a list of compatible hardware.

9  Select "Specify a Location"

10  Point the directory to where you've unzipped the drivers (e.g. C:\Linksys)

11 Select Wireless-G Notebook Adapter

12 Click OK

13 Check the Drivers tab under the device information and verify that the driver version has now changed to 3.20.21.0

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 02:39:16 AM »

His portable mp3 player support wifi, he wants to know if he can use it as a wireless card for his computer.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: