MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Windows Xp pro boot problem
July 24, 2019, 01:21:07 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2019, 01:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows Xp pro boot problem  (Read 2123 times)
jrdrhk76

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2003, 01:54:00 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows Xp pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hello,
OK, here's what happened to me.
I'm running windows Xp pro with 620 mb of Ram.
Yesterday, my pc just shut down by itself as i was downloading through several file sharing programs (Emule and Imesh).  
Now, it won't start again, it loads the first windows xp logo, with the black background, then it freezes on the blue screen, with no activity.

I tried everything from the last good configuration to starting in safe mode, it freezes exactly at the same moment.
I also tried to install another version of windows, to back up some very important files, but they're located in "My documents", which i tried to open through "documents and setting" , but , all i got when i try to open the file corresponding to all my settings from the original windows version, is "Access is denied".

Now, i don't mind formating my hard drive, i just want to get some files first.
Is there anybody that know a way to get around this "denied access" ?  i tried to right click on the folder and check the properties but it doesn't say anything abnormal......
Or any ideas to get my PC to start again ? I really need my files. ( they're new, i didn't have time to back them up yet)
Thanks

PS: i had minor crashes with Imesh before but nothing i wasn't able to fix...

train25_2001

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 11:59:48 PM »

Try going here and seeing if this helps as it will allow you to restore your Windows XP to a previous state. You may loose some information doing this but at least you wont have to start from scratch.

http://internethelp.no-ip.com/walkthroughs/winxp-restoreos1.asp

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 03:03:48 PM »

Hi,

When you say "I also tried to install another version of windows" do you mean you installed WinXP in another folder or Win9x in another folder?

The only way to access this folder is to be logged in as the folder owner or admin if your file system is NTFS. If the second Windows installation is WinXP, try logging into it with an ADMIN account and take ownership of that folder.

See "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
dkam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 06:44:56 AM »

:)Hi,

I got the same problem with jrdrhk76 but my operating system is Windows XP Home. My Windows XP Home is upgrade from WindowsMe.

I tried to go to site mentioned by train25_2001 but it seems that the path name is not valid.

I had created an rescue disk when my system was using WindowsMe but was unable to boot the system with the disk.

Pls help.

dkam

Download Attachment: How To Restore Windows XP To A Previous State.doc 25.6 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 04:53:44 PM »

Extract from....

http://internethelp.no-ip.com/walkthroughs/winxp-restoreos1.asp

Start the computer and then press the F8 key until the WINDOWS ADVANCED OPTIONS menu appears.

Use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

If a boot menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER. Windows XP restores the computer to the most recent restore point.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 08:05:28 PM »

Hi,

You need to take ownership of the folder and files....

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: