MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: HELP! I seem to have lost my Netscape account!
November 18, 2019, 04:52:48 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 04:52:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP! I seem to have lost my Netscape account!  (Read 1181 times)
miguelbgood

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2003, 08:31:02 PM »

Sorry if this posts twice, it seemed that it didn't post (I got an error message) so I'm posting it again:

Operating System Version: XP -Ser Pack 1
Problem Application Name & Version: Netscape 7
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Dell 450

Ok, here's the series of events leading me to write this:
1)When I tried to log on to Netscape yesterday, it asked for a "new passord". Being in a hurry, I just entered my old password. It opened, WITH MY EMAIL FOLDERS, INBOX AND ALL INTACT. So I thought nothing of it. In fact, this has happened before, and I had no problems subsequently.
2) When I went to open Netscape today it opened with NONE of my email, no saved folders of email, NOTHING. At first it wouldn't even activate the Compose button. It's as if my old Netscape "account" was gone and a brand new one appeared. For one thing, it appeared, as new, with the ad in the Message area, which on my account, I had used the adding a line of code trick to get rid of the ads.

So, HOW DO I GET MY OLD ACCOUNT BACK? (And, as an aside, WHY did it create a new account in the first place?) Was this a virus that caused it to ask me for a new password, or what? (I run Nortoan AV with AV Live Update, and have scanned for viruses and am told I have none.)

I tried using System Restore, and went back as far as 2 days, when I know Netscape was working properly, but that did not help, so I undid the last restore (not the first one).

Seems to be only a NETSCAPE problem and requires a Netscape solution.

Can anyone tell me how to get my account back?

p.s. I do see that my mail files are still under Settings/Application Data/Mozilla/User... but how do I get them back into Netscape Mail when I go to open it?

Thanks.

miguelbgood

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 05:59:52 AM »

After investigating this further, (I had to go to work today right after discovering the problem) it appears that what has happened is that all my Netscape Preferences got wiped out, and all my mail settings.

How did this happen? I made no changes to my computer, at least not knowingly. And I added no other programs... EXCEPT an "automatic" Microsoft Update. Is is possible a MS update wiped out my Netscape preferences and mail settings? I would think not, but that is the only thing that changed... And why wouldn't using System Restore to go back before the problem, resolve it, like GoBack does? (I don't have GoBack installed on this computer, but used to use it on my Win98SE system.)

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 03:36:37 PM »

Hi,

Perhaps you can trick Netscape into accepting the contents of your old profile copied into a new one.

1. Try creating a new profile from the "Profile Manager"
2. Close Netscape
3. Copy everything from your old profile into the new profile you just created.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
miguelbgood

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 07:04:02 PM »

Thanks. As near as I can tell that is what the problem was: a new profile was created, and it left me with no preferences and no mail settings and none of my old saved mail folders or inbox associated with my Navigator mail.

I have no idea how that happened. I'm thinking someone may have hacked in to my computer.

But even after re-setting the prefs, Netscape kept crashing every few minutes.

So finally I uninstalled it and re-installed a new one, and re-named my mail folders to be associated with the new account.

But I would really like to know how and why it happened in the first place.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 08:49:31 PM »

Thread continues here:
http://www.mytechsupport.ca/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topic=1104

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: