MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Keep it or replace it
November 17, 2019, 08:21:15 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2019, 08:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keep it or replace it  (Read 812 times)
terpar

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:15:56 PM »

I have a 4.5 year old Compaq Presario 2710, 1.1GHz , 512Meg RAM with a 60Gig 4200RPM hard drive running Win Xp Pro SP2. Since the drive got past the 45% full mark the system has slowed considerably and I spend time twice a week deleting files and defragging the drive. I have been quoted $370 to replace the drive with a 80Gig 5400RPM drive and cloning my existing drive onto it.

I'm wondering if this upgrade will help my problem and is it worth it or should I be looking into a new laptop?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 07:55:33 PM »

Hi and Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca

Good question, the real question is, what do yu use your computer for? It seems like descent specs for WinXP.
     IMO, you should not see that much of a drop in performance with only a 45% hard drive usage.
    Have you scanned the system for viruses & spyware. Spyware slows a system down 500% .......I would make sure the system is free of nasties before proceeding.
    Do you need assistance in choosing what programs to scan your system with? If, so here are some instructions to follow:

Download / Install / Update / and Run:
Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
 To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.

Download and install Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

Perform an online scan with Internet Explorer with  Panda ActiveScan

Click on the "Free To Use ActiveScan" located on the top right hand corner
  • Click Check Now and a "pop up" window will appear. * Please ensure that your pop up blocker doesn't block it *
  • Enter your e-mail address, country, and state & click Scan Now   * The download of the 8 MB Panda's ActiveX control will take place *
Begin the scan by selecting My Computer
  • If it finds any malware, it will offer you a report.
  • Please ignore any entry it finds and the offer to buy the program to remove the entry, as we will address this later.
  • Click on See report then click Save report
* You needn't remain online while it's doing the scan but you have to re-connect after it has finished to see the report.
* Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan

Download and install  CleanUp!
*WARNING* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temp/temporary folders and does not make backups.

Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu). Set the program up as follows:
*Click "Options..."
*Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
*Put a check next to the following:
  • Empty Recycle Bins
  • Delete Cookies
  • Delete Prefetch files
  • Cleanup! All Users
  • Click on the

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:46:59 AM »

The main use of the system is: email, internet, word, excel, connecting to a work network through VPN and software development.

Here are some of the things I've done to ensure the system is clean:

-I scanned for adware and found none with both Adware SE and Spybot S&D.
-I went through the list of installed programs and removed anything I do not use (very little).
-I made sure there is nothing extra in the list of startup programs.
-I ran a memory optimizer to see how much memory is available and generallyit is around 130-170Meg and the page file is around 30% used.

Another thing I did was to uninstall Norton Antivirus(I know everyone complains that it is a resource hog), defrag and it did make a difference but I still spend time waiting.

I have also run a Registry cleanup and deleted a lot of invalid entries then compressed the registry. It deleted a lot of entries for software that I uninstalled long ago. I'm sure there are probably still entries in there that are garbage but I have no way to easily identify them.

Someone suggested that bumping the RAM to 1Gig will help and someone else suggested that I have some hardware malfunction but couldn't be more specific.

It has been suggested that I should seriously consider getting a new machine as the new ones are much faster with more features and that I could probably get better use of a new one and only have to spend less than $1000CDN to get one. This is starting to sound like a good idea.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 06:16:02 PM »

A memory upgrade will definatley improve your performance, we can also test the current memory installed to make sure it is working properly.

Try  Windows Memory Diagnostic Test
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

It has been suggested that I should seriously consider getting a new machine as the new ones are much faster with more features and that I could probably get better use of a new one and only have to spend less than $1000CDN to get one.
This is a choice only you can make, I hope things work out for you

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: