MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: port 80
August 18, 2019, 01:13:13 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2019, 01:13:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: port 80  (Read 1785 times)
tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2003, 05:11:55 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Windows xp pro sp1
I have just installed the belkin router to share my broadband connection all is ok, however I am concerned about security on my home network, Nat is enabled on the router but when I use the website Shields Up https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to test it the message Port 80 is open with the advice (You have servers running on those open ports:

If your system is running Internet servers on the ports shown as OPEN, you should stay current with PC industry security bulletins. New security vulnerabilities are being found continually. When crackers learn of a new vulnerability, they quickly grab their scanner logs to search for systems that have been scanned in the past and are of the known-to-be-vulnerable type. This allows them to be attacking logged systems within moments of learning of a newly located security hole. It is therefore important for you to respond to any news of new vulnerabilities in your systems as quickly as possible. The crackers are hoping you'll take your time.

You DO NOT have servers running on those open ports:

If you are not actively offering Internet services through the ports shown as OPEN, something is very wrong with your system:

It is actively advertising its presence on the Internet and
soliciting the attention of ALL PASSING PORT SCANNERS!

Logs of open ports are maintained by crackers and used as points of attack.
Either a server has been started without your knowledge

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 02:12:43 PM »

All they are saying is that port 80 is open on your network, and it is possible that someone can access the system on this port. Port 80 is a web server, so something has a web server running. There is a good chance that your belkin router uses a web interface to configure it, so it may have the web server running. Is there a firewall built into your router?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 02:20:24 PM by tincan » Logged

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 03:45:17 PM »

Yes the router has a firewall and it is enabled.

Thanks

tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 05:49:34 PM »

I emailed Belkin http://HTTP://www.belkin.com  and got a prompt response below.

When you run the shields up program from www.grc.com it reports that port 80 is open.
This is not the case port 80 is closed.
The reason as to why port 80 is being detected as open when it is not is due to the fact that Shields up is only reaching the ISP's wan port and not the NAT Firewall.

To see that the port is not open please go to a dos box and type the telnet command to attempt to directly access port 80.

I did this and yes it is closed.

Thanks all

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 06:29:44 PM »

That's great! Thanks for your response! Grin

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: