MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow General Discussions arrow Topic: PC Freezes after Startup
June 16, 2019, 05:15:43 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2019, 05:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC Freezes after Startup  (Read 1777 times)
element02

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2006, 06:26:24 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP Pro SP2
Problem Application Name & Version: Win XP Pro SP2
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Dell XPS Gen 3
Error Messages: None

When I start the PC, it boots up normally, but when I click on an icon, Start menu or anything in the systray, it clock appears as if the task is executing, then the clock freezes.  I can't move the cursor. Ctrl/alt/Delete doesn't bring up the Task Manager or reboot the system.  I have manually rebooted and run the system restore utility several times.  Nothing has worked.  This happened once a week ago, and I used the system restore.  Everything worked afterwards, but nothing is works this time. 

It boots up in Safe Mode, without problem.  In safe mode I've run Eusing and TweakNow registry cleaners.

Should I reinstall Win XP, or should I erase the hard drive, reformat and then reinstall windows?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:48:41 AM »

Before wiping the system try this:

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow   ( sfc if not reconized)    (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD.

If that doesnt help Perform a Repair Installation

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install.

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 06:49:22 PM »

Thanks for your help Geekgirl.  I will run the system file checker.  Can this be done in Safe Mode, since there isn't any functionality in regular mode?

I tried to perform a repair installation last night without success.  I configured the PC to boot from CD.  The setup Windows message displayed and I hit enter, but nothing happened.  I rebooted and tried this option several times, with the same result.  Does this take a while to execute, or is there another problem that I should address?

Should I uninstall SP2?  Does this have anything to do with hindering the repair?

Thanks

element02

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 12:36:13 AM »

Update....

Geekgirl, I couldn't run sfc /scannow.  I uninstalled SP2 and that solved the problem.  My PC booted up, though a little longer than usual, and everything is working properly.

Is there a problem with SP2, or a recent update?  My system set up to receive Microsoft updates automatically.

Thanks

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 01:35:42 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, some systems dont play nice with SP2. Without installation of SP2 your system is vulnerable to attack. Its very difficullt to troubleshoot why the system is not comaptible with SP2 it could be anything.

You can try to reinstall SP2 but make sure your system is virus/spyware/ malware free. This could have been the issue at the time of installation.
Look over these few links for advise

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/resources/technology/security/steps_to_take_before_installing_windows_xp_sp2.mspx

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: