MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow General Discussions arrow Topic: similar pc freeze(sorry if wrong forum, not sure which one to post in)
July 16, 2019, 04:28:11 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2019, 04:28:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: similar pc freeze(sorry if wrong forum, not sure which one to post in)  (Read 1868 times)
dchz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2006, 08:54:33 AM »

hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i'm new to this board and not sure where to post the question

i've remember the day when i build my comp 3-4 years ago, it's still something i can use for a while: pentium 4 2.4 GHz, 512 Ram... etc... the problem is after i left for 2 weeks and came back, the computer did not start up correctly, i wasn't sure what was going on but it wasn't a big deal cause i wanted to reformatted for a while now, but after i reformatted and installed all the windows update, it would often freeze after the start up, it kept doing that so i thought it was some sort of virus so i reformatted the hardrvie and installed windows again, and it ran fine for some time and then it kept freezing (my mouse wouldn't be able to move, and the PC is not processing at all) constantly, it became the worst when i just updated to SP2 today, and after windows has started, and i see my desktop, and it loads all of the system tray icons and just as it is starting windows security center, i see the frames of it popping up, and it all of a sudden freezes, i'm not sure if this is a hard ware problem or a software problem, if it is hardware, is it likely the video card, the ram or the processor? if it is software problem how could i possibly fix it?

i want to thank you guys in advance for any help you guys are willing to give me

thanks Smiley
dchz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:57:21 AM »

also i'm not sure if this is relevent, i restarted in the VGA mode and it also freezes, could this possilby be caused by any  spyware/virus on my computer that i'm not aware of when i installed SP2? i have NOD32 and Spy bot tea timer running and i usually deny all registry changes, could this be fixed some how(if this is a software problem)
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:21:38 AM »

Hi and Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca

You may have hardware faliure, plz follow these instructions, its a start

Find the manufacturer of your hard drive and run their Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility.

Try  Windows Memory Diagnostic Test
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

Have you flashed the BIOS yet?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 05:58:19 PM »

i haven't flahsed the BIOs, and i hva eno clue what tha means :-p

however, i am sure it's not software cause when i tried to reinstall windows in dos, it freezed the same way so it led me to believe it's definitely hardware, i didn't run any RAM testing because i was going to upgrade anyways so i went a head and obught a stick and switched teh RAM, i also swithed to a different graphics card, niether fixed the problem, i also spoke to my local tech and he believes this kind of freeze is either motherboard board or the power supply, but i have an Antec True power 430W power supply(i think this is pretty good quality) so i believe it's the motherboard or the hard drive,

i'm going to run the hard drive test and wait for my new motherboard to come in from new eggg

if you have any more suggestions please let me know

thank you for your help geek girl (a geek girl? that's pretty hot..)

Ps: what speed does the ram run at if i have a pc3200 board with 1 stick of pc3200 1 GB ram and 1 stick fo pc2700 512 ram?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:44:04 PM »

As long as the ram sticks are both the same CL (2.5  or 3.0) they will run at the same FSB speed.

Definately test your hard drive when you get the chance.....

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 03:11:39 AM »

i've just installed the new motherboard on my desktop, but when i ran the device check for the hard drive, it says "raw read error rate" is failed, but it is running ok as we speak, for some odd reason i think it was still the motherboard that was broken, and it's only $40 dollars, so i don't think it's worth returning it is it? (shipping + labor + restocking fee)

i guess i'll just partition the other hardrive and run windows on the 2nd 160 GB hardrive and not use the 60 primary hard drive, does that sound plausible?
dchz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »

good news, once i switched the motherboard it stopped freezing and i've been using it non frozen for 2 days, thanks for your help geek girl Smiley

a/s/l?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 11:19:57 PM »

Sorry for the late reply, I'm glad you got it resolved    Grin

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: