MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: defragmenter
July 16, 2019, 04:57:07 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2019, 04:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: defragmenter  (Read 1324 times)
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:50:27 AM »

I have two computers,one has windows xp pro and the other windows xp home.
The pro version analyzes and defragments in about 15-20 minutes,the home version takes a good 10-15 minutes to analyze and has now been defragmenting since 9:30 last night,it is now 6:43am and just finished as I write but with some files not done.It has also been the same on all previous defragments.
What gets me is the pro version has a bigger hard drive with tons more on it.Both pcs have 2gb memory and the pro version less processor speed.
Is xp pro that much better version then xp home?

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:22:23 PM »

Its possible you are performing different taks on these 2 computers thus making the defragmenters performance different. Windows must find all the pieces of the fragmented file (which is spread all around the hard disk) in order to load it.
What do you use the 2 computers for? Is one for word processing and the other for say gaming ?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 06:22:51 PM »

My new puter is used for average home user things such as using the internet for emails,,messengers,,game sites and a few installed games,,gathering info as well as various activities at other web sites,no microsoft works or office or anything like that.
My previous puter is solely for the use of my 8 yr old grandson (who is over daily) for playing PC games I have purchased and downloaded,it does not go online.All in all on two hard drives he has about 45 games and frequently games are added and others removed.
The only difference between the two puters is mine is newer and an athlon 64 with higher processor speed(his athlon xp) both have 2 gbs ddr memory,lcd monitors,nividia geforce 5700le vid cards and ac97 sound.

wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 09:33:07 PM »

I just noticed that the winxp home is fat32 file system and win xp pro is ntsf.Could that be what the difference is?
How do I change fat32 to ntsf?

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 11:59:14 PM »

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 11:24:23 AM »

Hi geekgirl,thanks,,got it changed to ntfs and defragmenter much much faster now.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 02:32:44 PM »

Great, glad it helped

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: