MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: PC running really slow
December 15, 2019, 03:52:28 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 15, 2019, 03:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC running really slow  (Read 3221 times)
Taz Eats Cookies

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2006, 08:06:08 PM »

I hope i have got this in the right place, but my pc is has started running really slow and then freezes up for a while when i check to see how much useage it says 100% yet there is not alot running at the time.

also while i am on here how do  i set which applications i want to start on start up this might help matters as there seems to be alot running.

any help would be very much appreciated.

Martin.J.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:01:40 PM »

Hi Martin

Click Start/Run and type in msconfig
Click the Startup tab, here is everything that runs at startup. Plz be careful on what you uncheck as some things need to be running at startup.

You also may have spyware installed. What programs do you use to clean the computer? Anti-virus, antispyware?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:44:31 AM »

To fiddle with msconfig start up you had better have a good idea of the pc. Most will tell you not to touch that. Just an opinion.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:13:10 AM »

I clearly stated that  Grin

Plz be careful on what you uncheck as some things need to be running at startup.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 05:04:33 PM »

Cheers for that geekgirl i have got rid of some of the stuff that i recognise on start up anything i am not sure anout i have left in and can close down manually from bottom right hand side toolbar.

I do have anti virus with macafee but do not have any spyware or adware removal tools is there anywhere i can download them from?

Martin.J.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 05:38:11 PM »

Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
 To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.

Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

SpywareGuard  provides a real-time protection solution against spyware. SpywareGuard now also features Download Protection and Browser Hijacking Protection!

Spyware Blaster.  SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

Ewido is only for Windows 2000 & Windows XP

Download Ewido Anti-Malware
  • Install Ewido Anti-Malware
  • Double-click the icon on Desktop to launch Ewido
You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the top of the main screen click Shield
  • Click the word active to change it to inactive
  • On the top of the main screen click Update.
  • Then click on Start Update. The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update Ewido
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
    • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
    • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
When you have finished updating, EXIT Ewido anti-spyware. Do Not run a scan just yet.

Reboot your system in Safe Mode (By repeatedly tapping the F8 key until the menu appears).

Run Ewido with it's updated definitions:(...it's important that all windows must be closed)
  • Click Scanner
  • Click on the Scan tab
  • Click Complete System Scan to begin scanning.
    Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions"

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:16:07 PM »

OMG thats a whole lot of stuff to do will have to do them when i can but i will defo let you know what shows up and if it runs any better.

Martin.J.
Taz Eats Cookies

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 09:06:12 PM »

i have done everything that you have said.

and it found some stuff and i did get rid of it but it still seems to be running quite slow.

could it be worth running a Hijackthis check Huh?

Martin.J.
Taz Eats Cookies

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 05:07:03 PM »

Hi Geekgirl, its still running quite slow so i ran ccleaner it found some stuff so i delted it but then i could not access the internet so i restored the system back to last week i can access the net now but its still quite slow.

I also checked and when my pc freezes there is a .exe file called dumprep.exe which uses alot have you got any ideas what this is and could you post the link for me to run a HJT check.

Many thanks

Martin.J.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 10:26:13 PM »

I wish you would have not used CCLeaner, it is for advanced users IMO, regisrty files get removed and all that happy stuff.
Using System Restore just put you back to where you were.

dumprep.exe forms a part of Microsoft Windows XP (and later versions), in-built fault logging software. Upon serious errors this program will write the details to a text file and request the information be sent to Microsoft.

What tasks ae you performing when it freezes, anything repeated?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »

It seems to be alot better now for sdome reason Huh?Huh??

But it normally freezes up for a while when i am opening pages i try to have as little as possible running so as to not slow it down too much anyhow.

It somteimes freezes when i am trying to open folders on my hard drive, but if a leave it for a while it opens them eventually.

like i say it seems to be not too bad at the moment.

Martin.J.
Taz Eats Cookies

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 05:58:22 PM »

Also very slow when i am posting anything on a forum this is when it runs particularly slow

Martin.J.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 07:16:15 PM »

If your using Windows XP you could try a Repair Install or the System File Checker. You will need your Windows cd for both of those.

How much memory is installed on your system?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 07:34:55 PM »

If your using Windows XP you could try a Repair Install or the System File Checker. You will need your Windows cd for both of those.

How much memory is installed on your system?

I have got a 512 and a 128 installe don my pc as far as i know they are working ok.

i do not have the cd for my Windows XP i am afraid is there anythinf i could do to make sure my memory is working ok?

It doesnt seem to bad know tho to be honest.

Martin.J.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 11:12:23 PM »

Try  Windows Memory Diagnostic Test
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: